Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rambler24

Planting AV Seeds

rambler24
14 years ago

I ordered some AV seeds the other day. Certainly not because I need to add any more plants to my collection, but more so for the challenge to see if I could do it. I have found a lot of info on how to plant them but I havent seen much on what kind of germination rate I can expect or how long it takes them to germinate. Im sure many of you have planted seeds and I would love to hear how your experiences have gone.

Comments (25)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I planted Charita Tamiana (technically, not AV seeds but other gesnariads) on 3rd of Sept and I can see green in the mixture.

I also planted Siningia that day and nothing :( (yet)

Dora

• bspofford
    14 years ago

I have planted seeds twice. The first time was seed from a pod that was over a year old, and I maybe had 20 seeds in the dish. Three germinated.

The second time I planted about 10 seeds and 3 came up, but I had forgotten about the container, and let it get too dry.

Did you get your seeds from Parks?

Barbara

• rambler24
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did order the seeds from Parks. I havent received them yet though. Im not too optimistic about my chances of success but I'll give it a shot anyhow. Thank you both for your replies.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

What I found helpful was to make a greenhouse, sprinkle the seeds, lightly dampen the soil (misting can move the seeds to a clump)and then keep it airtight and in the light for a while.

Dora

• bspofford
    14 years ago

News flash!! AVSA magazine had an ad for the first time that I am aware of for AV seeds.

NadeauAfricanVioletSeeds.com is the web address. They say they supply Parks, and it doesn't appear they charge to ship.

Barbara

• Christine
    14 years ago

Hi,

I made my first cross and planted the seeds on 6/17/09. Upon my return from out of town on 7/2/09 some had already sprouted, for a germination time of 15 days or less. Most seeds sprouted by 3 - 4 weeks but some continued to sprout over a period of 3 months! Since the seeds were "fresh" I had about a 100% germination rate. Fortunately I didn't have hundreds of seeds in the pod! Good luck with your seeds. It's going to be fun to see what develops.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I looked yesterday and my siningas seeds are sprouting! That's about 4.5 weeks for me.

There must be over 100 plants coming up in that Charita Tamiana cup @@. Guess that'll be included in the plant sale for the spring, LOL

Dora

• rambler24
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Im starting to feel more optimistic that I may get a few plants to grow. I just hope I can remember to keep a check on them if they take 4 or 5 weeks to sprout like Dora's. I may take some pictures and update their progress for other people to have a reference in the future. I still havent received the seeds. Hopefully they will arrive soon and I can get started.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I look forward to hearing about this learning experience and what results you are getting.

I'm not much of a "seed" person (too impatient) but we did this as a club project and I wanted to set a good example as the President, LOL

Dora

• rambler24
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received the seeds and planted them this morning. I put them in a olive garden to go bowl with the clear lid so it made a miniature greenhouse like Dora recommended. We shall see what happens.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

rambler,
    did you tape around where the parts join? is it an airtight seal (pretty much?)

Cant wait to hear how it goes. This is exciting.

Dora

• rambler24
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I picked it up by the lid to make sure it was sealed. It appears to be airtight. I placed it about 6 inches under my fluorescent lights where my other violets are. I experimented before I planted the seeds by putting a thermometer in the bowl and closing the lid for about an hour to make sure it wouldnt get to hot in there. The inside temp was about 78 degrees which is in the range of what I have read it needs to be and I keep my lights on 14 hours a day. I still have 2 more packs of seed if something goes wrong on this first attempt.

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

after reading your posts last night, I ordered from Nadeau's AV Seeds today. I can't wait until I can get started.

• Christine
    14 years ago

Rambler24, I have found very little on the web about growing from seeds other than how to plant them. Please keep us posted on how they sprout and grow.

Littlehelper, the link below is the seed starting method I used. The photos make it easy to understand and follow and more importantly, it works! Good luck on your seeds too. The hard part is being patient until the little ones grow up and bloom!

Here is a link that might be useful: Janets Low-Tech Method For Starting African Violets From Seed

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

Donna thank you for posting the link. I will post how things go.

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

My seeds are all in their little "beds". There are seeds for standards, minis, and trailers. I have them in glass bowls of different sizes with plastic wrap over them and about 8" under a light. The light is on most of the day and then I let them sleep at night.
    The seeds came very promptly and with directions and soil. I'm happy!!! Now to wait... have I mentioned I don't like waiting very much.

• rambler24
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just wanted to write and give everyone an update. I said I would post pics of the progress but unfortunately there hasnt been any. It has been a month now and no babies. Im not throwing them out just yet but its not looking good for my first attempt.

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

rambler24 don't give up! I have little babies in all 3 of my seed "beds". They are TINY !! but they are there. I will post photos as soom as I can get them into focus. Thank you everyone for your advise and links. Have an AWSOME week everyone. P

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

From what I've experienced and heard other people share in thier experiences - it can take up to 2 months for those babies to come up.

Some things I might wonder about:
    - is there moisture on the inside of the container?
    - does the soiless mix have any of that moisture in it? (might need a spritz??)
    - has it been enough time?

This is why I mentioned that I am not too good with patience, LOL. But I vote for you as my hero if you can tough it out :)

Dora

• rambler24
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dora,
    You raise good questions. Currently there is moisture on the lid of the container but I have had to spritz a couple times over the last month. Im wondering if I havent let them get too dry at some point. Im gonna hold out hope for another month. I am very impatient like you. Adenium is the only thing I grow from seed regularly with the exception of vegetable seeds in the spring and all of those germinate within a few days.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I used a dropper to moisten the soil those first few weeks and once I saw the signs of green life - I used a mister.

Let's just be patient (which is SO hard sometimes)
    Dora

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

I am very happy to report that I have "babies" of all 3 types-mini's -trailers- standards...
    I will post photos but know they are tiny and very blurry. When I saw them first put out their tiny leaves I took the top off. With a mister I had around ( the type from wal-mart for cheep) I mist them with water every day or so but no more than 1 day apart. Total now I have 175-200 they are small and hard to count too accurately. I will have to order more when I get these into their own pots... :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:374582}}

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Yes it's blurry BUT I did see green!!!! How exciting!!
    Keep up the great work and looks your efforts will be rewarded!,,,Debbie

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

yep - that's green :)!

Try moving your camera back a foot or two and then crop the picture a bit when you tinker with it. That may or may not work.

My primary thought is....what the snot are you going to do with 200+ plants? tee hee

Dora

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

As they mature I guess it's safe to say we know what the people on her all occasion gift list will be getting! *wink*
    Happy Halloween,,,here's a violet and so on,,,!hehe.
    But all jokes aside when they bloom she might just get some real beauties from her efforts!,,,Debbie