Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multiple Crowns?

Posted by SunnySkies none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 17:30

So I've had this plant for a year or so and the bottom leaves are dying off at an odd rate. I had always wondered if it had multiple crowns but being pretty new with plants, have absolutely no idea what's what.

So, ah, is there two crowns? If so, how do I separate them? I have a pot and the items needed but I just have no idea. Help?

Here is a link that might be useful: Other picture

This post was edited by SunnySkies on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 20:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multiple Crowns?

Sunny.

A crown is the growing point of the plant. If you look at your violet, you should see the spot where the leaves grow from the center. Sometimes, a plant will have more than one crown. Yours looks as though it may have a small crown in the front of the picture. See that leaf that is growing backwards? Look there and see if that is another growing point.

You do not have to divide it if you like the way it looks. Plants are divided for several reasons: looks, growth, (if a violet gets too bushy, it can sometimes be detrimental to growth) and for the show table.

If there is a sucker there, snap it off gently at its base. It will probably be between two leaves so be careful so you avoid removing more leaves than you need to. Remove a row of bottom leaves on the sucker so you have a 'neck'. Place this neck in your potting soil up to the leaf line, water and place in a baggie. I about two weeks, it should have its own roots. Easy-peasy!

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here