Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank325

leaf color after putting under lights

frank325
15 years ago

Does the color variation on my smaller, newer leaves say anything about the light they are receiving?

{{gwi:374610}}

Comments (8)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Frank,
    They look fine to me. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
    Fred in NJ

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

What are the numbers on your fertilizer? If possible increase the first number to 20. That's nitrogen which should help standardize the color. Then add 1 tablespoon epsom salts to a gallon water each time you water for one month.

See if there is a difference.

Nancy

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Nancy,
    What does the epsom salts do?

Dora

PS. Most of my leaves that are young and fresh look like yours and when they get a bit of maturity on them, the color evens out.

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

I was going to say some plants have the lighter green on them until they mature. Not all plants though. It won't hurt to try the epsom salts and see if there is a change.
    tish

• curtis0353
    15 years ago

Not saying that this is the case in this situation, but sometimes Av leaves will appear yellowish, especially around the leaf edges of older leaves due to a deficiency of magnesium which is suppose to help with making chlorophyll. Some fertilizers contain no magnesium at all, and since most Av groweres use a mix that contains no soil, there is no available source of magnesium for the potted plant. Epsom salt is a good source for providing magnesium when mixed a tablespoon to a gallon of water without affecting the pH of the potting mix. However, if one adds dolomite lime, which contains ample amounts of magnesium, to their potting mix to adjust for a higher pH, there is no need to add additional magnesium through an application of epsom salt. Too much magnesium can also be a bad thing as well.

Curtis

• irina_co
    15 years ago

I add epsom salt - a table spoon per 20 gallons all the time. I add a 1/3 of a cup of epsom salt under each rose in a garden in a spring.

It works

I.

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

I read that 2 tablespoons per gallon was the recommended dosage. I have been using it and the plants are not hurt by it.

From the picture I see you are using 100% perlite as a soil mix? Do you not use peat most and vermiculite with perlite?

Nancy

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Makes a strong laxative in this proportion.

Nancy

- I checked and you recommended a teaspoon per gallon somewhere in Violet Voice postings. I guess it wouldn't hurt if you use the larger dose every so often.

I just try to keep the same amount of fertilizer and epsom salt in a wicking water. I was using a tablespoon of each - whish is about 1/8 of a teaspoon per gallon. So I decided to try to get back to 1/4 of a teaspoon of fertilizer. Just saw some fertilizer salts sprinkling the suckers on my new violets while I was desuckering them. Need to use plain water next time.

Happy Valentine to all of you, dear friends!

Irina

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA