Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fearfire

Troubles with AV, now not flowering

Fearfire
9 years ago

Hey all, my AV is having problems again after being in good shape for a month or so and flowering a bunch. Not sure what is wrong now.

I keep the soil moist but not damp, use a sheer curtain when the sun is shining directly on it, and feed with 14-12-14 mixture. Water is at room temperature, and it's bottom watered with 2 wicks. It is still in original soil, which is from selective gardener and I believe has no perlite or anything mixed in. I'm still new to all this.

Considered reporting with 1:1 soil:perlite and switching to 15-30-15 food. Not sure if sunlight, water temp, or what is the problem..

Comments (3)

• judyj
    9 years ago

Hi there,
    I don't think fertilizer is the issue here. The stuff you're using has the same numbers as mine. This little guy is in a pot that's a bit too big. it may be that it's too damp also. I see the leaves drooping down. You might wish to repot it and lighten the mixture if you're going to keep it on a wick. Also, I'm not sure, but it looks like there is more than one crown. Is this so?

Best,
    Judy

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

It is overwatered. When it is not blooming it does not need to be watered as often. It should be allowed to dry out slightly between watering. Why two wicks? Selective Gardener uses a peat potting medium that is not the best. Try putting it in a 3" pot. Also, you might want to remove a leaf that is still crisp to try to restart it in case this one doesn't survive. In California, you can buy Optimara plants in many places including Trader Joe's and Ace Hardware for about $3 to $5. You can often find unusual, non-Optimara violets that are locally grown in many nurseries or garden centers for reasonable prices. The best pots are simple plastic. If you use a wick, let the plants dry out. They should not be wet all the time. Suggest you get another couple of plants. You will feel better while this one recuperates. If the potting medium is very wet, you can take it out of the pot and set it on paper towels. I use AV potting mix I get at Ace and mix 50 50 with perlite. Some people also use 1/3 each of AV mix to perlite to vermiculite. Overwatered plants look the same as under watered because the roots can't get moisture to the leaves. It does look a little pale, perhaps too much light. Or maybe it is just a light green plant. Good luck. We've all overwatered at some point.

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

I'm not the expert here, but I think you're on the right track with the repot. I use Miracle Grow AV soil & perlite 1:1, making sure to not get MGs perlite so there's a fertizer issue.
    I agree with Judy that it looks like 2 crowns, and they do better if you separate them. Also, remove the spent blossom stem. In fact, if you pinch off dry blossoms each time you see one, that encourages blooming.
    I also agree with Joanne, that it looks too wet, but your repot will give you a chance to look at the roots. If they are whitish, they are healthy. I would pot them up into small plastic cups that you poke drainage holes in. I don't use wicks, but many do, and they seem to work well.

Let us know how things go! Good luck!

Sue

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living