Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peduncle_pete

green blossom African violets

Peduncle-Pete
9 years ago

I've only been growing african violets for a few months now. I would like to know if there are any really nice green blossom African violets. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Comments (12)

• bloodyfrancois
    9 years ago

I have only one green blossom, it is Irish Flirt, semi miniature.

• Karin
    9 years ago

That's the only green I have, too. The "cabbagey" blooms are growing on me, and it has lots of them, but the plant itself is a bit unruly, probably because I never bothered to groom it. I just disbudded it, so no pictures from me ;-)

Karin

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Frozen in Time is green and white. I bought it forgetting I don't really get excited about green ones. I used to have Irish Flirt too. It was green.

Now remember the leaves are green too...I may have forgotten that, lol.

Diana

• chiquib313
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of Frozen in Time.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Yes, Chiqui. That is what it looks like. I think mine is showing a more pronounced green edge than that one though. It came from Violet Barn.

The foliage isn't great on mine but I've had problems with that whole order so I wouldn't like to make any judgement about that aspect. The overall impression is pretty much green.

Diana

• judyj
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if you're looking only for green blossoms or those edged in green. There are quite a few edged in green. Lacey's Determination for me-is edged in green, with a very subtle violet/white center. Another would be Thunder's Surprise, though I don't have one personally.

There are also numerous ones edged in green that have deeper darker colors inside, but I wasn't sure if that's what you're looking for. I've got a couple of those.

Irish flirt is the only one I know of as well-that's really got green blooms.

Best,
    Judy

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Judy is right. They are generally not entirely green.

You might look at bloomlovers.com and see what she has. It's just that she offers the greatest variety right now and has the most photos. You might find it somewhere else, although I certainly order from her.

Also I expect Lyon's has something on their site. They have put out a lot of greenish ones over the years.

There are a good many with green. Two chimeras are Emerald City and Emerald Love. There are a lot of plants with Irish in the name and I believe they generally have some green. There is a Green Dragon by Browlie - I think I've seen it offered. Heartland's Lime Sherbet is pink and green and supposed to be quite nice. Mac's Misty Meadow is a newer green and white. I have a leaf set of it.

Irish Flirt is described:

Irish Flirt (7577) 11/07/1991 (S. Sorano) Double bright green and white frilled star. Medium green, wavy. Semiminiature

but it is greener than most. I'm looking through FC2 but the thing is you can't find everything in FC2. Pistachio, for example, is long gone. I grew it at one time.

Good luck in your green hunt. Some of those older ones don't turn out much like the photos or didn't for me anyway. I found a beautiful photo of Irish Iridescence and I know I have the name on an empty pot :).

Diana

• judyj
    9 years ago

Irish Iridescence
    That is a pretty one, Diana! Do the older varieties just fade away after the hybridizer stops growing them then?

I've found with streps and AVs that one can sometimes find the older versions with hobby and smaller sellers. I guess it's just how popular they are, really. Sometimes it's too bad.
    I got leaves for Rose Bouquet (I love that one!) but had to pay quite a bit for them on Ebay. One plant sold for over $20 on Ebay, I was cooking dinner and forgot the auction, but that's a lot of money for one plant!

Best,
    Judy

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Judy,
    I don't know what happens to the older ones. I think Kent Stork said they sometimes "wear out." I think with some of those "fancier" ones, they were probably always somewhat unstable.

It appears that my Irish Iridescence came from Lyndon Lyon so I don't know what happened. Maybe it's worth trying. It still holds though that often someone has a much nicer version of a plant than someone else. They aren't all alike.

eBay has gone crazy (imo). I saw a couple go for $150 and $179 recently and I've seen some go for more. Perfectly ordinary (although nice) plants have gone for $50. Rose Bouquet usually brings a good price. I think I got a leaf once and that kind of cured me. It does look pretty. Ann brings a lot of money. I never had that one.

Diana

• judyj
    9 years ago

There's just no way, at this point in my life, that I'd pay that much money for an AV. Maybe there are some recluse collectors that
    "must have" some particular plant. Yikes.

Best,
    Judy

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Too bad my Ann has gone AWOL, or I could be sitting on Easy Street, hmm, I could sell a leaf for $25. Times 15, that would be a chunk of change. (Kidding. I don't think I have ever charged more than $3 for a plant, and that was only to cover the cost of the pot and box. And that was only because the grateful receivers twisted my arm.) EBay is evil and is NOT your friend!

I once spent about $20 each for a chimera and bought about three. Then I went on vacation and came home to dead chimeras. I learned my lesson. Joanne

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Joanne,

You are probably not the only one wishing they had a bunch of Anns sitting around :). I've been doing some eBay but only because I've been forced there. It is much higher than it was when I bought a few things 2-3 years ago. I didn't see this craziness then.

(Yes, $50 for a leaf is crazy IMO. And while I respect the growing skills of some of the vendors, you still have to grow that plant when you get it. You can't frame it or bronze it. It can die just like anything from Lowe's. In fact someone did pay over 2x more for a Yukako than I did. I've had a battle with mine but it's finally blooming and I wondered how his was doing. Sadly, he then posted that he'd lost it and was trying to retrieve it from one bloom stem.)

Was the lesson you learned to prepare your plants for when you'd be gone ;)

Judy,

I can't fathom what goes on in some of these auctions. If you can grow one, there are some you can get for $6 somewhere else. Others are hard to find or maybe they want that strain of that variety. It's still a whacking amount for a plant or sometimes a leaf. I have often wondered if they looked past the photo of the show plant and saw what they were buying.

Diana

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor