Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm Castings

Posted by cork_oh 5OH (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 18:35

Hi
Is anyone using worm castings in your soil mix? If so, what do you think? Does it do any good?
Thanks
Cork

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm Castings

I started experimenting with wormcastings and compost from my garden. I have a good amount of both. I swift through a 1/4" hardware cloth. I tried it out on some plants that seem to be too tender for chemical fertilizer. I'm happy with the results so far. Make sure you pastureise it before using.

o

I love them! They do wonders for the plants and I use them outdoors as well as indoors.

o

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Someone care to explain, pretty please?

o

Violetta -

they are talking about earth worm manure.

You can keep your own worm farm under the sink, produce a small amount of worm poop for your own needs. They do not smell bad, they eat vegetable leftovers - and if you have 8-10 old kids - it can be a nice project for them. Otherwise you can buy dried "castings" or a soil mix with castings.

Irina

o

I use full strenght worm castings for my african violets. Is this going to make them bloom for frequently.

o

Mariah -

I add a cup of castings per 5 gallon bucket of soil. Full strenght? Are you planting your violets into castings? I would think that it will burn and kill them.

To make them bloom more frequently you need to keep AVs in very consistent conditions - so far I know one way - wicking with a weak fertilizer solution, fluorescent light - 12 hours in - 12 out, 60 percent air humidity etc, etc. - then they bloom 10 months out the year. If something is missing - you will get less bloom.

Good Luck and try to add a small amount of castings - treat them as vitamins - 1 pill a day is good, a bottle at once will make you sick.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here