Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitralekha_gw

What could be wrong with my plants?

chitralekha
9 years ago

Folks,
I noticed this white growth/insect on my African violets which I've grown for years.

Could you tell me what it is?

Could you please tell me how to treat it?

My daughter has a similar growth/insect on her succulents (she lives in a separate residence)

Comments (11)

• judyj
    9 years ago

Off the top I'm guessing foliar mealybugs. This article says that If the infestation isn't too bad, you can use alcohol to wipe them off, but let's let someone with good solid experience speak up.

Here's a link I found:
    http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/African_Violets.htm

Didn't know they attacked succulents as well, but are likely opportunists like other bugs.

Best,
    Judy

• chitralekha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, Judy! I will definitely check out your link. I appreciate your help :)

• terrilou
    9 years ago

Yes, mealybugs and they do love succulents. Alcohol is effective as are some readily available houseplant sprays. If I see mealies on the leaves, I also check the roots just to be sure I don't have soil mealy bugs. These are much more difficult to eradicate.

Terri

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Personally, I would consider that a bad infestation and suggest you wrap the plant, pot and all in a plastic bag, tie it up tight and put it in the garbage. Not the green can. Don't try to save a leaf. Mealy bug spreads faster than you can say the word and if not controlled immediately, can take down an entire collection in no time. You asked in the nick of time. Watch your other plants carefully, scrub all surfaces and don't bring in any new plants, especially not any AVs for at least a month. Any other plants with mealy must be destroyed. The white is the cocoon. The bugs are gray and hide. So rubbing away a cocoon with alcohol is not very effective. "Been there, done that." J

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Mealy bugs can be on any plant inside or outside. I have had them on palm trees, bromliads, orchards, etc so you need to act quickly if you want to try to save the plant. I have had success with saving most plants but you need to check, check,check. They like new growth and hide at the soil line so check everywhere on the plant. I had one baby AV I got on a trade and found them in the soil. I couldn't save it. The most important thing to do is isolate it as they can get on any plant and inside you home it has no natural predator such as lady bugs.
    Brunilda

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

I've never been able to effectively wipe out a mealybug infestation with alcohol.

I'd say ... ditch the plant.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Especially an older plant as this one is. Before they spread.

• chitralekha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everybody. After reading all these messages and learning how you dealt with it, I ditched the plant.
    I am watching the other plants I have closely daily and so far they all look good.
    Thanks once again.
    Chitra

• taxonomist3
    9 years ago

I've successfully destroyed mealies using any product with imidacloprid (marathon/bayer tree and shrub/bonide). I prefer the granules because they stay in the plants system longer with the plants slowly taking them up via their roots. For an immediate treatment for foliar mealies, I might use the bayer tree and shrub that's in liquid form and spray the plant. One treatment should be all that's needed (unless you're dealing with the new resistant strain of mealies out there now).

• irina_co
    9 years ago

Ouch...resistant mealies...

I am here with Taxonomist - wash the plant, remove everything you do not need - like spent flowers and tired leaves, you can even spray it with 1/4 solution of rubbing alcohol - and repot it with Marathon. I actually managed to get a cheaper product from Amazon - 2.5% imidacloprid systemic granules made by Fertilome. Stinks though, but works.

If you are not ready to go for chemicals = take several leaves, wash them, dip in alcohol solution - recut and root them. But you need to clean the growing area - on the shelf - under and over with alcohol of Clorox - the eggs can be anywhere around. Plus - I think the young stage of them - flies - so you need to fight them all at once on all plants. Do not leave a source of a new infestation - succulents or what.

do not burn the house if you have bugs!

It is doable!

irina

• chitralekha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I learned a lot from all of you about this problem. Thank you for all the help.
    Chitra

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!