Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wesley_butterflies

My potting home work is done

wesley_butterflies
14 years ago

Thanks for the potting tip guys I sorted out one of them old kitchen cabinets and found this old thing boiling it for a few minutes made it look nice

{{gwi:374932}}

I think I am ready for the watering/ fertilizing test now

I have got on hand now an orchid food brand name with a 20 20 20 npk and its a fine grain kind of like sugar with yellow coloring is this the right fertilizer for AVs?

disolves in water as the label says I am assumming I water at an intervil of three to four weeks there and about or just befor the soil gets to dry.

Am I correct in thinking I should only fert the AV every second watering, or is it every watering which sounds like alot of fert for such a tiny flower

Tepid watering I get, but how to store the water fert mix to remain tepid has got me in a hmmmmm how to do that mood

do I reheat to tempid the fert water mix when it needs watering/fert again which sounds very odd to me as heat breaks ferts down. I can break down the fert water mix to a 1/2 pint but even that could last for three / four waterings

maybe I should just dispose of the remaining as it is organic fert, but I'd rather not waste if it can be stored right

Comments (4)

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Wesley~
    I think you're reading too much into *tepid water*. The exact temp is not a factor, rather it just means not cold. And actually I never knew cold water wasn't good for them, except you're not supposed to get cold water on the leaves.

I don't water any of my plants w/cold water, I use cooled down hot water. I do this b/c, in my thoughts, hot water has been kept at a temp high enough to kill the chlorine which can be harmful to some plants. The same thing can be accomplished by using water that has been sitting for so many hours, but I have too many plants to water, and I would have a houseful of jugs sitting around.

I've never used the fert you are talking about, so I can't comment on that.

Thats a cute planter. Does it have drainage holes? Or do you have a pot sitting inside of the display one? I don't know if you are planning on putting AV's in the other two pots, but if so it may be too crowded, just my opinion.

Hope this helps~
    Maid

• wesley_butterflies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feed back on what tempid water is I'll confirm that hot water will disapate chlorine alot better and faster than cold so it's warm/hot water, let it cool to air temp, add fert,label the left over fert water mix,cap it then store for future use. Every watering it gets fert? assuming it will take about 3/4 weeks inbetween watering
    All three pots have holes in the bottom and the bottom tray came with them it has a pot sized divit to hold each pot in it kind of like a saucer for a cup of tea .I can add water to the tray and the soil should take up the water on it's own through the hole on the bottom, am I right ?

Yes I kind of knew I wouldn't be able to fit any outher AV or other type of plant in any of the other two pots not disapointed in hearing that just happy to be able to use the long time hanging around pot.

As for the fert powder stuff. It isn't so much the brand name I was asking about, but it was the NPK numbers 20-20-20
    as it is I have no clue what to get so I asked the folks at Worms Way for an organic AV liquid fert. The local one here only had a disolving type. If the NPK numbers are wrong I can bring it back and exchange it for right NPK. The NPK seems kind of high for a tiny lil AV to me as I was unable to get an idea for NPK via a organic AV fert search.

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

From what I've read (only a couple of places, so not sure how accurate) the best way to dissipate chlorine is to let it sit in an open container for 24-48 hours. (Short of removing the chlorine). I put the water in my container, add my fert, then let it sit two days before using, using it at room temp. Happy plants :-)

• bspofford
    14 years ago

The 20-20-20 formulation is a balanced fertilizer, and should be fine for your violet. Check the source for nitrogen, and if it is 10% or more urea, I wouldn't use it. I think most orchid ferts I've seen are pretty low on urea nitrogen.

I would use the fertilizer water every time you water, but cut the 'dose' in half. Putting water in the bottom dish and letting it soak up for 20 minutes is fine, and then dump the excess.

Barbara

Sponsored