Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lovely Suprise!

Posted by cajunkisses2007 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 07 at 20:04

My mom popped up today with this little beauty she bought for me from Lowes. Of course she needs to be cleaned up and repotted.

I THINK it is a Chimera? The pot has an Optimara sticker on it, but I cannot find an identification number or name anywhere. Unfortunately she doesn't have any suckers and i'm not sure how to propagate by bloom stalk as mine never seem to grow large leaves on them, only tiny little ones, but I would love to be able to so I can share them. So any tips on propagation of chimeras would be appreciated. I just love her, espcially since she was a gift from my mom. :)
Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lovely Suprise!

Don't think it is a chimera. It is rather what is called banded--or with an edge. You might be able to get a replica with a leaf.

It is really very pretty.

Nancy

o

Hi CK.
I agree with Nancy, sorry. It just looks like a blossom with a wide edge. If you take a leaf and put it down and it comes up the same it isn't a Chimera. Chimeras only bloom true from suckers and sometimes bloomstalks although I have never been successful with a bloomstalk.
Fred in NJ

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 19:20

You might be able to ID your beauty through Optimara's site; the link is below.

Good luck and congrats!

Korina

Here is a link that might be useful: Optimara Field Guide

o

I don't know if it is or isn't, but it is a gorgeous plant! Congrats on that.

o

I doubt they would sell Chimeras as they are much harder to propagate and they are a mass producer. It is very pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here