Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puchinita5

small flowers, artificial light, burned leaves, winter, questions

Puchinita5
9 years ago

Hi, I have a few different questions I'm hoping some of you could help me with.

First, and probably the easiest, I have an AV with a leaf that looks burned (I suspect it had been damaged in shipping and after a few days only that one leaf turned brown). About half the leaf is burned and the rest still looks healthy. The violet is extremely symmetrical so I hate to completely remove the leaf, but I suspect it's not good to leave it on the plant either, can I just cut the burned part off? Is it okay to cut the brown off and then trim the leaf into a normal shape?

Second, I live in Chicago with south facing windows. Even though they are south facing, I don't think they get as much light as you would think because my violets have done very well without any blinds during the summer. However, now as fall is approaching, I think they are starting to not get enough light. A couple of my violets are blooming very small flowers compared to normal, and I have a Sinningia whose leaves are pointing upward (and strangely, the flowers are blooming kinda downward, I'm not sure why, it's my first Sinningia and this is the first time it has started to bloom)

I started growing violets this year, so I'm not quite sure what to do when the light decreases in the winter. I feel like I need to start supplementing the light with artificial. I have fluorescent lights in my kitchen under my kitchen cabinets, so I can place the flowers under them. I'm not sure how many watts they are. They would be about a foot away from the bulbs, maybe less.

I'm wondering if it sounds like a good idea to place my violets under these lights at the end of the day for a few hours?

Any other tips on caring for my violets as fall and winter approaches?

Comments (5)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

You can cut the brown off the leaf. I wouldn't try to approximate a normal leaf shape because you'll just damage more tissue. Eventually, you'll want to remove the damaged leaf.

Well - it's not Martha Stewart land here, but is there any way you can add a supplemental fluorescent to the window where your plants are already happy? I assume you have been feeding them? (Meant to ask that first.) If so and you think it's a decrease in light, you may find some fluorescent strip light or fixture that you can use during the winter months.

I have a fixture that hangs in my window but it's not pretty. It was made from a fluorescent ceiling light and a swag light kit (bay window). The chain for the swag is draped on "cup" hooks but they have holiday cactus hanging from them too now so it's all useful ;).

Is something blocking the light? Trees, a building?

Diana

• Karin
    9 years ago

I'd be careful with that south facing window!
    i am a bit further north, and i actually find i get more sun in spring/fall due to the different angle (i am on the ground floor of a tallish building). i actually ended up having to put rice paper in the window despite having a frosted-glass-effect-foil on the glass.

Just saying - if leaves are bleaching or burning, it's more likely too much light, than not enough... a bunch of plants didn't show adverse effects, but once i put the extra layer of paper on, they started growing much better.

I used to have a timed light in a west window for my tropicals. not the prettiest setup, but i am sure you can find something that suits your needs/design wants - if you really are dealing with lack of light.

Light is tricky to figure out though - and if you are moving them to an entirely different setup, it will take some time to pinpoint the exact repercussions.

Having said that, if your windows are poorly insulated (ours are terrible), you may want to consider moving them before winter anyways.

Karin

• Puchinita5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the responses!

I think the south facing windows have been working because they have a screen on them, so I don't think they are getting the full amount of light. I'm also in a highrise that faces another highrise, so I think the other building partially blocks out some light.

I have about 8 violets, some purchased in March, some a couple of months ago, and only this leaf has burned. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I spilled water on it or it was already damaged from shipping. Also, this one is a variegated type (Powwow), and the leaves are very green with only white on the very edges, which I thought meant it isn't receiving enough light. All my other violets are doing very well though. Although I'm noticing one of them that had large beautiful blooms is starting to bloom smaller and smaller petals.

If I add lights to the window, do you put it on at the same time as the sun is out, or wait until the sun goes down and then turn on the light? Or perhaps leave the light on while the sun is out and for a few hours longer? Is there anything special about the lights I need to know other than getting full spectrum? I read something about getting lights with reflectors?

In terms of feeding them, I haven't been only because I read that the peat moss I use (Miracle Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss) has miracle grow plant food in it, and I read somewhere that adding the normal fertilizer I used to use may be too much and I could end up killing it. Perhaps I am wrong about this? I also read that you should cut back on feeding in winter? I was also thinking about starting to feed it again soon to see if it helps the blooms, since I figure maybe they plants have already consumed all of the plant food that was in there. But not sure if that would be helpful or harmful.

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

If it's been (8) months since placing your plants in the Miracle-Grow medium, the fertilizer is likely depleted by now.

That your plants are blooming indicates that you DON'T have a major light deficiency.

I would try feeding them, starting at perhaps 1/2 normal strength and see if that helps.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Actually, I would start with 1/4 the strength on the box. I appreciate aegis500's input here, but I've also been having some fertilizer burn issues and don't want you to have them. You can always give them a little more, can't take it back.

That is so true. Plants that are getting too much light will bloom (I can say this from experience!). The first thing I try when they don't want to bloom is to boost the light a bit.

Diana