Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jac311_gw

Unsuccessful surgery?

jac311
10 years ago

I decided to divide my NOID that I recently bought. I am trying to learn the basics with this guy before I have to attempt it with the few beautiful minis I got from violet Barn (they are truly amazing! I am in love!!). Anyway, I found a sucker that managed to turn into its own separate plant, two crowns, so I decided to divide and conquer. It seems like the mother plant it okay, so far at least. But the baby plant is not very happy with me! I cut it off, repotted everyone in a soil that encourages root development (a seed starting mix, because that's what I had) and added a good amount of perlit. I added water, but it was only just moiste, not wet. And the plants are in a large Tupperware with Saran Wrap over it as a modified green house with a florescent lamp over them. What am I doing wrong? Should there be holes for air?

Comments (6)

• jac311
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also attached a picture of my set up. I know it's a little hoaky, but as a struggling graduate student, I think it works fine as a baby plant nursery. I think at least.

Anyway, I'm not sure how clear it is in the first picture, but there are two leaves, the center leaf and one in the next row that are darker, and I assume that means they are rotting. Correct?

• KrissyW
    10 years ago

Hi. I have never covered my plants after re-potting or separating. I simply re-pot, water, and put them in the sun. I hope this helps and I hope mama and her baby make it!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Jac,

It is standard practice by most to bag (or dome) a newly-divided plant. The bag should contain no holes as this would defeat the purpose of bagging. Usually rot is caused by too much water. How do the rest of the plants in your set-up look? Was there a root system on your plant?

Linda

• jac311
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, so no holes. I've got that covered. The other plants look fine from what I can tell so far. I don't remember there being much of any roots on the baby after I was done with him though. I guess it would be too much water, but I mixed all the soil before, so then all the plants would have too much water, right?

• jac311
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I spoke too soon! The other leaves on that baby were grey and dead this morning. Ah well. I picked away the other leaves and saved one that looks okay to try and start a new plant from it. I also added additional holes to the cups to hopefully help to air-rate the plants so I won't lose the others. I'm always slow to the learning curve. Thanks everyone for the advice!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Jac,

For some reason, I get an uneasy feeling when I look at the saran wrap you are using for a cover and I think that may be a problem. I would use a baggie or if you need something less expensive, a plastic produce bag from the grocery.

Also, if it is very warm in your room, it would contribute to rot. I am wondering about your light-how close it is and how much heat it is producing. It looks very close to your nursery. I think that this may be your main problem.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that if one plant responds one way, that they all would or should respond the same. All plants are individuals and will respond in their own way.

Sometimes if you have a rot problem, you can dust with cinnamon to help stop the spread but I think maybe your plants are not going to be helped by this. You may have to try again.

Linda

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio