Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I get an ID?

Posted by pumpkineater2 9b (Jsnsnw15@gmail.com) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 21:04

Got this about a month and a half ago at HD from their rack of scraggly neglected plants. This was the best looking one on the shelf. It had no flowers on It when I bought it(Duh, It was at HD) Anyway, It likes me enough to bloom so I can try to get an ID. For now its name is Fred :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I get an ID?

Pumpkin,

Check the Optimara site.

Linda

o

Its is hard to tell from that picture if it has more than four anthers, but it looks like it does. If it does, then its a star type bloom. If it is a star bloom it is probably Opt. Dali, which is a good bloomer. I have that one, it is beautiful and the color varies from bloom cycle to bloom cycle.

o

Thank you Linda. I'm not sure what you meant by the optimara site but I went to a website called optimara.com and I found several possibilities:
Britta
Doris
Gitti
Optimara missouri
optimara nashville
Optimara New mexico

Perle, It looks like it only has 2 anthers per flower. I tried to take a better photo for you but it isn't that great.

o

Heres the whole plant, if tat helps:

o

I just composed another reply, but it got lost, so I hope this doesn't come through twice. You are right, it is not a star bloom. It clearly has four pollen sacks. It is really a beautiful plant no matter what the name. Go to this link and click on Seurat. Yours may be that one, it is very frilly and appears to have a white center. What I usually do is keep doing image searches on other peoples pictures of the Optimaras I think my plants might be. Some are very distinct looking and easy to ID, others are much harder. A second bloom cycle may have different coloration, so that helps too. Optimaras do sport quite a bit, so sometimes you just have to settle for a "probable" ID.
http://www.optimara.info/bi-color_red.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Optimara Info Bi Color Photos

o

Pumpkin,

Most violets, if not all, that come from big box stores and grocery stores are Optimara violets. Optimaras are bred by Holtkamp Greenhouses in Tennessee. Going to their web-site can often help you ID your plant as they have a picture of their hybrids there. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Linda

o

Thanks again Linda! No problem! I think I was on the right site anyway:)
Perle, That one does look alot like my plant, Just a little lighter pink. Thank you!

o

Pumpkin, the colors do fluctuate lighter or darker, temperature, age of the bloom itself, and other things can cause that.

o

Just thought I'd post an update:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here