Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inlovewithhoyas

how to water my minis?

inlovewithhoyas
14 years ago

Now that I have my semi minis and one mini, I don't know how to water them. I kept them in the same little cups they came in from Rob's. Tried watering them today, but the water would not get absorbed by the mix, it would just kind of drip off the sides. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance..

Nae boston

Comments (12)

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

If they got too dry during shipping, the peat in the mix is hydrophobic (think that's the right term...) - meaning that it repels water. To "rewet" it, you just have to soak it once, then not let it get over dry again. You can also by a wetting agent that will help, or potentially use some dish soap. Do not, though, use dish detergent!!! Murphy's Oil Soap is a true soap, not sure of what else is. I use a rewetting agent, but can't think of the name of it...

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Nae,

Put the plant in a saucer or shallow dish and fill the dish with warm water. After 20 minutes, check it to see if the planting mix has become rewetted. Rob's mix has a lot of perlite so it should be. Dump out the excess water, and you are good to go.

You will learn how dry the plant is by the weight of the pot. And if you are bottom watering, which is simply filling a container and letting it absorb what it will in 20 minutes, then dump the excess, you should be okay.

Barbara

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lathy: to tell you the truth I think they were a little damp when I got them so I did not worry too much about watering them.

Barbara: I appreciate your feed back, unfortunally there are no wholes aat the bottom of the cups. Should I repot them to other little pots with drainage holes in them? That's why I'm getting a little worried, because unless I water them from the sides, there is no other way I can do it, unless I repot them again

Nae boston

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Correcting my mistake, after further investigation of the cups I found a hole on the bottom. My apologies, I did take them and put them in a saucer with warm water. =)

Thanks again

Nae boston

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Every few days you can sit them in a bit of water for about 15-20 minutes and it will draw water up into the soil thru the hole.
    that will help it.

Within 4 to 6 weeks, once you are sure they are disease and pest free and getting adjusted to your home growing environment, you can repot them into some new soil (but not necessarily a new/larger pot) and wick them at that time. Once wicked, they'll water feed more consistently and you wont have to "wonder" about what it needs - it'll just take what it needs through the wick and you'll be left to just "enjoy".

Dora

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dora,

Thanks for your feedback I will do as you suggested. It is kind of hard to find small (cute pots) enough pots for these minis, well except the plastic ones. If you know or anyone knows of any place that I can get some, please let me know.

Nae boston

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Nea,
    Describe what you are looking for. I"m not sure what you mean when you say, "small, cute pots" for the minis.

I use a solo drink cup for mine.
    I always tell people who would like something more aesthetically pleasing....to set the cup/resavoir down into something that is what you want to look at.

dora

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dora,

I think that is exactly what I meant. placing the cup in to something that looks more appealing to the eye. I like the cups in which they are in now, but I would like to display them. I am arranging a neightborhood night with my neighbors on how to grow african violets and I am going to have my minis for show ( I am going to make a big sign so no one takes them lol). The feedback you just gave me, is exactly what I was looking for.

nae boston

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

when you're looking for something to set the resavoir down into something - then the options are unlimited.

Let us know which options you come up with.
    Dora

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I definately will. Thanks Dora

Nae boston

• leslie_virnig221
    14 years ago

would a yougurt lid work for a saucer or is it deep enough?

• bspofford
    14 years ago

A yogurt lid is not deep enough for watering. Once you have watered and drained the excess, you could use the lid to protect the surface it is sitting on.

Barbara

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA