Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunrtwilight

Reputable Vendors

LunRTwilight
10 years ago

I have just started my collection of African Violets and so far, they have either been gifted or rescued from the grocery store. I can't help it. Whenever I see them, I find myself pruning dead blooms and leaves off the poor dears. I'm a sucker. I want to expand my collection to add some prize members to my small family of violets. I was hoping to get some information from the AVSA, but their website is down. If anyone can direct me to some reputable vendors, I'd be very grateful. Also, is it better to buy a starter plant or to order just the leaves to propogate? I'm interested in the Tiger or Black Ace in particular, but there are too many that I'd love to own to list them all. :)

Comments (18)

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    The three growers I have ordered from are:
    Fancy-Bloomers.com in NJ
    TheVioletBarn.com in Naples, NY
    LyndonLyon.com in Dolgeville NY
    They have been excellent.

Some growers might be low on stock because it is
    show season. However, they will let you know if they
    will have the AV you want in the future.

I know the feeling of wanting to "rescue" neglected
    violets you see in shops.
    However, getting healthy starter plants of your
    choice directly from the grower is rewarding.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 9:49

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Lun,

I LOVE Blue Mountain Violets on E-Bay. The plants he sends are almost always in bloom.

There is no better way to buy your violets. A leaf will produce plants that are acclimated to your growing conditions and will not have to adjust from a previous setting. But a small plant will usually readily adjust to your home.

I usually always buy blooming plants and never have much trouble with them being more mature.

Linda

• LunRTwilight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips. You mentioned that it is show season. Does that mean that there could be an African Violet show near Atlanta soon? I'd love to go and see first-hand as my boss has mentioned going in the past.

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

I've had good results with the following ebay vendors ...

Jack's Violets
    PJ's Violets
    Bloomlovers (also online at www.Bloomlovers.com)
    Blooming Jungle (email bloominjungle@frontiernet.net)

For an oldie like Tiger, you might have to look periodically on ebay.

Last I saw, ... Fancy Bloomers had "Black Ace" in a 2 1/2 inch pot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Ace at Fancy Bloomers

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

I saw a Tiger on ebay just yesterday that sold for about $15, so ebay is definitely a source for that guy!

As to sellers... these are my positive experiences, along with pictures of what I ordered and got in the box. I did not have good experiences with either Shanti's or Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses.

Rob's Violet Barn
    Very smooth transactions and communicates quickly during business hours. Plants arrive very healthy and often very symmetrical. To a newb like me, they look like baby show plants that haven't bloomed yet. Wonderful seller.
    2013-06-21 Order 1
    2013-06-26 Arrival 1
    2013-09-06 Order 2
    2013-09-12 Arrival 2

Jack's Violets @ ebay
    Quick shipping. Plants arrive very healthy and grown. My personal feeling was that these plants had grown enough that my coworkers and I weren't going to get them killed off right away. :) Wonderful seller.
    2013-05-28 Order
    2013-06-07 Arrival

Fancy Bloomers
    Smaller operation but Donna is extremely friendly and helpful. Five of my six plants (not the plantlets) arrived already blooming, and two of those pots actually had two plants in them! My coworkers hardly let me admire my haul before they split my extra plants between them. :p Thieves, all of them. Anyway, wonderful seller. Receiving blooms in the mail was a real highlight of the day for more than just me.

When looking at the arrival pictures, please note that due to more than one unfortunate USPS mishandling incident, the plants I got from FB were in shipping for a full week during not-cool temperatures. All but the two just-separated plantlets of micro-minis still arrived healthy and blooming. (Don't worry, the two babies are in recovery, and Donna keeps in contact to make sure they're living.)
    2013-08-27 Order
    2013-09-03 Arrival

[edit: corrected shipping dates for FB, oops]

This post was edited by bttrflii on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 11:02

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Lun,

Show season in the AV world is pretty much year-round. The South naturally has more shows in the winter than does the North. I am going to the Ohio State show next week.
    Check the AV site under coming events and check the state clubs around you. They will announce the coming shows.
    The national convention is in Nashville next year, I think in May. It is an easy drive from Atlanta. If you have never been to nationals,you will love it! It is totally awesome!

I also have been very happy with Jack's Violets on E Bay.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Lun,
    Sounds like Linda gave great advice about the shows.
    Linda, that is great you can go to Ohio and get to see
    a lot of friendly faces and happy plants.
    Bttrflii, I have to say, Donna of Fancy-Bloomers is
    AMAZING. It seems that no sooner could I say
    "African Violets, please," then the box arrived on my
    door-step! Although I ordered 2.5", I received larger
    plants, two in bloom. She had a great selection of
    what I was looking for. She also has helpful videos on
    her website and an easy-to-use website that shows
    what she has in stock.

• LunRTwilight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bttrflii,

Your pictures make me so excited to get my new plants! I ordered from Fancy Bloomers. I browsed forever it seems and decided on Midnight Waves and Wrangler's Swinging Blues to start with. Several were out of stock, but I was warned that this may be an issue this time of year, so I'll keep my eyes open and wait patiently. I don't need a mass order starting out anyway.

Linda, were you talking about the AVSA website? The most current event listed there was 2012, I think. That was the first place I looked. I guess I could Google search and see if I turn up anything, but if you have another reference you could point me to, I'd be happy to check it first.

My mother loved her violets, but I believe hers got root rot and didn't last long. I've found that mine grow very well for me, but I'm still learning. I have done surgery on several already, successfully, might I add, before I really knew what I was doing. My first surgery (and please don't call the AV police on me) had three mature blooming plants before I realized it even had multiple crowns. Each had their own developed root systems, so I had very little work to do, but this gave me confidence to perform more compicated surgeries, so I'm progressing well beyond my mother's "pot 'em and water" violets.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

LunR,

I checked the site for you and it seems their site has gone from bad to worse. The events are usually posted on the right-hand side (and were a week ago because I was looking at them), under events. What you can do is click on 'affiliates', find your region on the left-hand side and individual clubs will appear. Check the club's web-site that is closest to you and if they are having a show soon the information will be there.

Good luck!
    Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 1:47

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

LunR.

I found this for you. Don't miss it and take plenty of money!

African Violet Club of Greater Atlanta
    Tucker Recreation Center
    Tucker, GA

Meeting Times: 1st Saturday of each month, 1:00 pm (no July meeting)

Address: 806 Sheppard Cove
    City: Stone Mountain, GA
    Phone: 770-469-6460
    Email: pchinkle@aol.com

Notes: Annual show and sale first weekend in November

Have fun!

Linda

• robitaillenancy1
    10 years ago

I would recommend www.bloomlovers.com She has a beautiful online catalogue and she does have Black Ace and the other you mentioned.

Her plug plants are healthy and grow well once you put them in your own soil. Her leaves are great.

Nancy

• LunRTwilight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Linda! I'll have to start making plans! Hopefully, I won't have to work those weekends... Hmm.

LunR

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Bttrflii--Great photo albums! I shall have to try to learn how
    to do that!
    LunR, Looking forward to hearing about your plant arrivals.
    Joanne 47

• oskar13
    10 years ago

Is Cape Cod Violetry still in business?

Thanks

• taxonomist3
    10 years ago

Cape Cod had stopped selling plants by mail but does still sells supplies (and at good prices).

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Oskar,

I talked to John at Cape Cod several weeks ago. He said his wife is selling plants on E Bay only.

Linda

• james_ny
    10 years ago

I've visited both Violet Barn and Lyndon's and both were wonderfull. Also ordered from VB and their packing is amazing, never even lost a leaf. Will order again if i can find a job.

• LunRTwilight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have an order with VB coming in this week sometime. Not as quick as Fancy Bloomers, but they had Irish Flirt, which I was looking for. Will post pics and update when they arrive. Good luck finding a job, james_ny... It can be tough out there.