Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inlovewithhoyas

my babies have roots.....yayyyyyy =)

inlovewithhoyas
14 years ago

I started off with 16 AV leaves last month. I have not been checking on the leaves, but I do occasionaly check on the baggies and its humidity. Well I was sooo tired today from work, but something told me go check up on the leaves. I am so glad I did, because out of 16 leaves 14 have roots. I can't wait to see my babies growwww. Some of the leaves are from different plants, but there are 3 leaves in 8 individual pots. They all kinda looked alike so I did not know which one was which..(my mistake) since not of the pots were labeled. One thing I can say is, that I can go back to my job and show the dental students how to grow these beauties and they will learn something else besides taking teeth out.

Comments (21)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Congrats, now just keep a sharp lookout for those tiny mouse ears.
    Fred in NJ

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you fred. I can't wait to see the mouse ears come out. I'm pretty sure that different flowers of different colors will bloom since I mixed the leaves. I am so excited and proud, because this is the first time that I propagate a plant with possitive results. =)

Nae boston

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

It will take anywhere from a few days to a year to see the mouseears based on what I've been reading. So far, the majority of mine have been between 2 and 6 weeks after rooting. But, I have one that hasn't even rooted after almost 2 months....go figure. It's still alive though!

On each leaf that has produced plantlets, I have a minimum of 1 (on the very new ones) and up to 5 or 6 plantlets. Yikes. That's a LOT of new plants. The very first two that came up each have at least 4 plantlets though one may have 5 or 6. I can't completely tell. And, several keep producing more. They seem to be growing at different rates. One that came up after the others is growing so quickly it's surpassing every other one.

It's completely addicting, lol.

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmmm I have a question though. What do I do now? Do I keep them in their baggies or do I take them out?

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Some people keep them in....some take them out. (I bet you knew that was coming, lol.)

I took mine out. It got too hard to water and leave them in; I had to put in more water as they got larger, but that would create a TON of condensation. I didn't want it dripping on the leaves or the leaves hitting the sides of the bag and resting in water.

So, I put them in a dome. Seems to be working out well. They are growing madly. The first plantlets to show were around July 25th or so. As of today, I could potentially take a few of them off; not many, but a few of them have multiple leaves that are larger than a nickel and I can clearly tell which plantlet is which. Could be that variety grows that fast and not the culture, but at least my culture isn't hurting them.

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lathy,

I did see that one coming lol ( just didn't know when). I am going to take them out the baggies, because as you mentioned it is getting harder for me to water them and a lot of the humidity is turning in to big dropplets. I will keep you posted on the progress of my little ones.

Cheers,
    Nae boston

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

In love, I feel your excitement. . . I had roots about 6 weeks ago, that I noticed anyway. Then just last week I checked and sure enough there were mouse ears.

I moved mine from the plastic bag into a large plastic jar with a lid (I guess a dome would be the proper name for it) and moved the jar closer to the light, within a few weeks I had mouse ears.

I don't think I'm going to wick them, as I don't plan on having a huge collection of AV's and the three I do have are doing well with bottom watering. Some of these new ones will go to my sis, she lost her leaves I put down for her (They were a little too newborn to pot up, and she did anyway).

Congrats. . . and good luck.

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Montana, thanks. Well, I don't have domes for my leaves. Where can I buy them? I would hate to loose them, because of me not following steps, since I am relatively new to the propagation of leaves.

Thanks,
    Nae boston

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

You don't have to dome them. What is the humidity like in your home? If it's on the high side, you may be just fine. My home is dry, so I decided I needed the humidity. But, I didn't dome them, I bought small size baggies - like they use to bag jewelry or collectibles - and put them in those. I bought several sizes; the 5x5 is about my favorite, but I also use 4x4 and 4x6. I make sure the soil is barely damp - I mean barely - otherwise there is too much condensation and the leaf gets wet. But, if it's just right, it's perfect. It doesn't need to be watered for at least a week or two and it's a form of isolation so you don't have to worry about sharing critters in case the leaves came from somewhere other than your house.

Once I see the "mouse ears", I leave mine in the baggies for a few more weeks until I can see several strong growing plantlets. At that time, there are more roots and it gets harder to keep the water level right - you water too much and there is too much condensation, but not enough and you have to open it every day to water because the roots are using is.

In terms of domes, you have several options. Following good ideas here, I saved some plastic containers that contained lettuce! Costco, I think, but maybe another store, has a large container of mesclun/spring mix baby lettuce leaves. The container has a firmly fitting lid and is very sturdy. It holds 8-9 Solo cups with leaves (or small plants). I also use a domed container that is for staring seeds in the spring. Other people talk about using domes that they purchased cake in or other deli items. As long as they are clear on top and enough light gets in, it's great.

Lastly, you can buy really nice ones at places like Cape Cod - I learned about it here from someone. I just placed an order for 3 different size trays with domes.

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi again,
    I find domed containers is various places. In supermarkets bakery sections use them for all sorts of things. Also have used covered containers that had whole cooked chickens in them. Many restaurants have containers with clear tops that are used as doggie bags. I have used the large containers for starting leaves that I want to grow plantlets for our local show and recently separated a batch of Buckeye Cranberry Sparkler plantlets into 28 individual plants that I donated to my club for a project plant. I have also found individual conatiners in a restaurant supply that I use to start one leaf. These containers are used for sundaes and some are all plastic while others have a styrofoam bottom and a clear plastic top. I prefer the all plastic because it closes tighter and is able to retain the humidity and moisture longer than the ones with styro bottoms. Years ago I recycled large soda bottles. Some of the bottles had black plastic bottoms which I pulled off and then cut the clear rounded bottom of the bottle, reversed it and made it into a small terrarium.
    Fred in NJ

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Nae, since you are in Boston you have a fairly close source for seed flats and domes in Peabody/Danvers. It's a huge nursery called Flower World. They carry both the shorter dome and the 6 inch ones. Don't get tempted by the noid AV's they carry, they usually have thrips.

Cape Cod Violetry is also a good source down in New Bedford. Online or by phone only. They have either the seed flats or the heavier duty permanest trays. Phone is 508 993-2386, or violets@cape.com and John will send you a catalog by e-mail.

If you are going to grow your hobby, these are a good investment. I used cake toppers, deli containers, rotisserie chicken containers, etc. I found I can get more in a seed flat or tray in the same amount of shelf space.

Barbara

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your feed backs, I do really appreciate it. Although I must say that instead of thinking about the leaves, I was more inclined towards the chicken everyone kept mentioning the containers were used for lol. Barbara thanks for the phone number, I will call and request a catalog, but I am liking the idea of the plastic and styrofoam containers. I live close to a restaurant supplies store, I bet I can find a lot of goodies there. Thanks everybody again, this is the reason why I like this forum so much. My love for plants grow more and more everyday. =)

Nae boston

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found the solution to my problem (dome). I have one of those big dishes that are used to put cakes on them. The dish has a cover made of glass and so is tthe dish. I will post a pic tomorrow.

Nae boston

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the pic of where I keep the AV's now.
    {{gwi:375547}}

• irina_co
    14 years ago

What a cool cake you have, Nae!!!

I would say you are on your way to a serious collection! And you started just right - from growing your own babies.

Check with the clubs in your area - it is the place where you can get advice, meet new people and procure some leaves. I see that one of the has a show in late April, may be another one has show/sale in fall?

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston AV clubs

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Irina,

Thank you so much for your kind feed backs. I am going to check out the link you sent. I really appreciate it.

nae boston

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Great idea! And, as Irina said, such a lovely cake cover thingee.

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol lathy, yes it is. The thingee makes the little babies look so elegant in there. Today I repoted my other ones to new homes, some of them I put in bonsai dishes I will post a pic later on tomorrow.

Irina: thank you for the info for the clubs. I already contacted someone.

I will keep you gals posted on a project I'm working on with the babies.

Cheers =)

Nae boston

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After I rooted the 14 leaves with success, I put down 5 more leaves. I was checking up on them today and so far another leave has roots. I'm thinking of hosting a "growing plants @ home " night for my neightbors where I live. I want to wait until the plants grow a little bit bigger and maybe bloom, to show them how the propagation process was a success for me. I think a lot of the people that will attend are going to benefit from learning how to grow african violets by themselves and how its going to save them money doing it this way. I am proud @ not only myself, but at this forum for showing me something that I could have never dreamed of doing, thank you so much. Now I can share my passion with others in hopes that they will also share the same feeling that I do.

Nae boston

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Nae~ that sounds like a wonderful idea. I share my leaves with my sister, I've showed her how to do it, and she had success too. She just got a little ahead of herself and potted them up too soon, so she's starting over now. But that's all of the process, live and learn.

Have fun~
    Maid~

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks maid. I think sometimes it is rewarding to show other what you learn. I know that my neighbors will appreciate growing their plants at home, since here in Massachussetts we get more winter months and not enough hot summer months.

Nae boston