Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Any trick to growing 'trailers' for a newbie?

jerome
12 years ago

Among my Violet Barn order is a tiny trailer plant called Rob's Wagga Wagga. Is there any trick to growing trailers? I've noticed right off that it is thirstier than the other plants that arrived. I don't want to mess this one up. Beautiful dark blue flowers and splendid appearance. Advice sought.

Comments (5)

• terrilou
    12 years ago

I hope someone who excels in trailers will come to your rescue. I have grown a few and I don't think they need care that is different from other violets. That being said I understand miniatures can use more light than standards. Pruning is advised to help the plant spread; however with Rob's varieties, I don't think this is necessary as they self branch. I have grown plants of Rob's Humpty Doo for years & have never pruned any of them. They spread out without help from me. I believe Rob's site does contain some tips on trailer culture. Enjoy your plant!

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Jerome -

I side with Terrilou. Rob's trailers do not need any special treatments. You slowly repot them to bigger pots up to bulb pan 5" size as they grow, remove old leaves and spent blossoms - and they do just right.

Irina

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all your advice Terrilou and Irina. All my plants are doing really well. I love growing them, as they add a little bit of cheer to my room. The "rescue" standard I picked up in the summer is blooming - deep magenta-crimson blooms. Really nice. I like this new hobby. The little trailer Rob's Wagga Wagga is doing well too.

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Yes...:-) Trailers are about all I grow (well, streps and columnea, too).

1. Pinch out crowns as this encourages new crowns to form.

2. Nick (with a sterile knife) the stems and new crowns will form with every nick. Not too deep; you just want to "wound" them. I use the "nick" method when the neck gets bare.

3. I use the 3" and 5" Oyama Planters instead of squat pots.

4. Irina and Terrilou are right about Rob's trailers but the above really help them along.

5. I reservior water and use the Dyna-Grow "Grow" formula. One-quarter strength. I use fish emulsion about once every fourth or fifth refill (or when my husband's out of town). LOL

6. I like the Oyama Planters. The reason is I have to lift each plant to fill the reservoir so I can inspect them without any effort. If the pot is light it's time to fill. Once every six or eight weeks I run a fresh-water flush to rid of salts, etc. I do not like the ceramic self-watering pots. Another good one is the Volkmann system. I use it for my columnea which are heavy drinkers.

There is a DVD for sale at AVSA.org on how to grow trailers. If you decide you really like them and their growth habits it's a good one to have.

Good luck and happy growing.

Linda

• canukgirl
    12 years ago

Hi Jerome, I'm a newbie too to this forum. I noticed the same thing about a Senk's trailer plantlet that I started from a leaf--it's very thirsty. Just laps up the water I give it much more than the other types of AVs in my little colletion. I'm a new grower and just love visiting the forum for the wonderful advice from experienced growers.