Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Need help with wick watered violets

quinnfyre
13 years ago

I'm having this problem lately. Some of my violets are tipping over, off their reservoirs. I'm using those containers you get from Chinese takeout, the ones they put soup in. They grow really well from being wick watered, but this makes them a little top heavy. How do you keep your violets securely on the shelf? I came home early this week to find two violets on the ground, and one damaged from having one of the two fall straight on top of it. The next day, Nymph Fly, which has been particularly bad about this, was also tipped over, but not on the ground at least, thank goodness. I'd like to avoid finding any more on the ground, as this means the cats will have easy access to them. The shelves are too packed for it to be the cats knocking them over.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• frazzledgessie
    13 years ago

If you are interested I have some Oyama planters for semis and minis that I am not using. They may be more stable?

• angeleyedcat
    13 years ago

This might sound a little crazy (definately not out of better homes and gardens) but I've got a crazy kitten right now in addition to my 3 cats so I've actually put deer netting up on the outside of any plant shelves I have to keep him out while he gets trained. Just an idea to help :)

• m3rma1d
    13 years ago

I cut holes in mine that make the cup lock firmly into place. Love it!

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. And thanks for the kind offer of Oyama planters! I'm one that needs to have clear containers though, otherwise I may not notice for a while that the reservoir is empty. I did at one time put up mosquito netting to keep my one cat out of the shelf (the other one is too lazy to jump up there, ha). But I found that it also kept me out too. Maybe if I had actually rigged it up to be more like a door I could open and shut, it wouldn't have been a problem, but I used masking tape.

I'll have to do some experimenting. I don't know if I can pull off cutting holes in the lids without making the lids unstable, but I can certainly give it a try!

• fred_hill
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I am assuming that you use the pint containers for your reservoirs. I would switch to larger quart containers and put some rocks or pebbles in the bottom of the container. I always put a plastic baggie in the container so it stays clean. I also use and xacto knife to cut two holes in the top. This allows me to fill the reservoir easily.
    Fred in NJ

• contrarymarypat
    13 years ago

frazzledgessie: I might be interested in trying Oyama planters. I have quite a few semis & a few minis. You can email me @gmail.com.

Mary

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Fred. Unfortunately I can't use larger reservoirs because they won't fit on the shelves anymore. In any case, it's the plant itself that falls off, not the plant and reservoir. The reservoir stayed on the shelf just fine : (

I have the day off to do some work on the violets, so we'll see if I figure anything out.

Slightly off topic, but if I see that stupid JC Penny ad blocking everything - as well as those stupid ads that move the page downwards and then back up again - many more times I will lose it! I can't seem to read any posts without those ads getting in the way.