Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have problem and I need help

Posted by daniel.edmondson none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 2:29

I need some help, what am I doing wrong.I have this plant [L E Blue Skirts (Lebetskaia) (Globe Lubbock)] a Russian standard. I have had it for about 4 months and it is doing good , its growing and it has never given me any problems. Now it has developed pale strange shaped splotches on its leaves. I have uploaded a photo, they kind look transparent. Its mostly on the older leaves and the new leave are dark and ok. Does any one have a suggestion to solve my problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have problem and I need help

here is a second photograph to help you see it better

o

I would surmise that it is something cultural going on.

Too much/too little light, food, water, inconsistent temperature, water droplets on the leaves, lack of humidity, etc.

Shouldn't be anything of great concern, ... unless you are growing to show (i.e. compete).

o

• Posted by nyxx z7 Virginia (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 10:31

Over watering, too much fertilizer, water that has chlorine in it. Since you have had the plant for four months and this is a recent occurrence I think over watering can be ruled out unless you have changed how you do that lately. Had it been that you probably would have seen signs before now. Try not fertilizing for a bit. It is always a good idea to start a leaf of any plant you value imho. So you always have a back up. Not to mention the shear joy of "I did that". I don't think the this plant is in mortal danger. Just won't be pretty, for awhile. I could be wrong. Have been before. It's a learning process for all of us.

o

Aha - I looked around - and the list is long - and they all look the same - sunscald, drafty window, too cold, cold water used for watering, cold water drops on the leaves - and there is one I didn't hear before - zinc deficiency.

Anyway - I have a plant - Santpaulia confusa - that grows like a moppy weed it is, blooms all the time - annd always develops yellow spots with yellow veins. What it wants - I do not know - and it doesn't pass this spotting t the neighbours.

You have your plant for several months - and leaves live for a year - so if there were some unlucky curcumstances to damage the leaves - the plant will grow out of it.

I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here