Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

blue color change under fluorescent lights

fortyseven_gw
10 years ago

I have been photographing my violets in bloom.
I noticed that one (Simpler Times) is nearly true blue by daylight, photographs violet at night under fluorescent.

Linda mentioned recently "horticultural blue" is not what
an artist would call blue.

Here is a list of blues from Irina, copied here from
an older thread:
Azure Skies
Blue Mist (gorgeous)
Amour Elite
Blue Skirts
Blue Eyed Russian

Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 3:02

Comments (7)

• bunnycat
    10 years ago

Amour Elite looks like a Russian version of Playful Spectrum, just bigger. Has blue fantasy, but not what I'd call a blue violet. Caribbean Blue and Ness' Ruffled Skies look fairly blue to me.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

I saw several Amour Elite at Austin Convention. LARGE. (Maybe because in TX - they feed them with longhorn manure.)
    Playful Spectrum is a standard on a small side.

Everything looks gorgeous under fluorescents. Any color, fantasy etc. - even Begonias.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina
    Don't you like begonias?
    I wish someone would come up with a sticktite begonia
    blossom.
    Joanne

• irina_co
    10 years ago

I love begonias. But they take SPACE, valuable space.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

want to blow your mind ?

set your digital camera for fluorescent lights and take a pix

then set it for 'bulb' or incandescent lights .... take the same pix

compare the photos ... yellows and blues and what's there to do?

you can play with the lighting on your camera by going to custom mode ... and tweaking the lighting until you find a good setting ... this way you can better approximate the way your eyes see things ... unless you are color blind or have cataracts

its nice to have digital ... you don't have to wait on the darkroom any more

i used to shoot fb games in bw film and push it to 3200 and develop the film in accufine ... grainy, but good enough for newsprint (printing on tp at 200 mph)

today's digitals are pretty cool ... no more graininess .. if you have decent resolution ... and no darkroom ... just photoshop.

now, our hort friends and genetically aware AV buddies can prob give us a better lowdown on fluorescent, incandescent, warm and cool lighting, and a treatise on how that - and other factors (season, stress, water and environment) - tends to affect colors, coupled with the instability of the gene pool could even affect colors from one blooming cycle to the next - especially among the ... blues, fantasies and chimeras ... yellow might be in there too

dave

This post was edited by bragu on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 9:39

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Try - fluorescent light= and an incandescent light on the side. Especially white and pink flowers SPARKLE.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave and Irina
    Thanks for the great advice! I actually tried these suggestions, with the result that the violet photographed both colors, blue on one side of the photo and purple on
    the other. The whites were blinding! While the digital cameras take great photos, they don't automatically
    make better photographers. There is still a need for
    journalists to be on the scene. However, sometimes Smartphone photos have filled the gap when witnesses
    have been at the scene of the crime. Having said that,
    I did NOT buy "Ma's Crime Scene" when choosing Red
    AVs. I like for my AVs to have calm, peaceful names.
    Joanne

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington