Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
showed amazing restraint ...

Posted by bragu 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 5:22

On a lark, I hit a pair of BBS yesterday (Wed) - HD & Lo's - and saw a fresh batch of pretty darn nice optimara's.

There was one with a particularly frilly leaf edge, but not quite enuff to make me want to shell out $3 for it.

On reflection, it surprised me.

But then again, I was after some phal mix - which I did not find - because the xmas stuff had been pulled out ... already.

yeah.

Well, anyway. I was able to say 'no.'

Quick, someone feel my forehead.

So, I celebrated with a $3 cup of coffee on the way home ...

So much for saving money.

I figure with the weather about to change, we're probably running out of shopping days before it turns too cold to expect a plant to make it home.

dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: showed amazing restraint ...

Don't feel bad, Dave. Coffee is my weakness, too. At my worst point, I had a $14/day habit... Yikes!!! Thankfully, I've learned to restrain myself, too. It's much cheaper to buy it by the pound and brew at home! ^.^

Good for you on denying the Optimara, I know how hard that can be!!! I'm getting picky on which plants I want to make it into my collection (and I'm thinking half of the leaves I put down will probably not make the cut but we'll see).

o

I've been picking up a few fresh Optimaras since they started sending me email alerts of shipments to my area. I like the space violets & have found a couple of them. I haven't been able to find any others from my list though.

As to coffee. . . I'm am oldie and can remember it at 25 cents a cup so I wouldn't care how fancy it is. . . for the $3.00, I would have had a new plant!

Terri

o

@Dave: At my local Lowe's the orchid and AV products are behind all the xmas gear--like way behind in the corner at the back in the bowels of the room.

@Terri: How do you get on the Optimara email list? Thanks.

This post was edited by ultra_violet on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 10:31

o

I believe you just sign up on the Optimara website. They ask you to fill out a form with your info and there's a box that you mark to allow them to e-mail you updates on new deliveries to your area. I opted out (I'd get into too much trouble), but it's as easy as that.

I've had 25¢ coffee, too. I try to limit myself (again with the restraint issue), but I'm a coffee brat, and I love my fancy brew! ^.^

Lisa aka LunR

o

Dave,

You bought coffee instead of a violet??? Such a newbie...

Linda

P.S. How do you get a saddle on a lark?

o

no saddle ... but you get feathers up your ....

they do, however, respond well to ... spurs.

eh, buttercup?

yeah, no av, no phal mix .... and i am going to have to take my pine bark 'nuggets' to the driveway and drive over them to make them small enough to use

dave

o

Now we have barking pines when they get run over?
I thot AV folks were peaceful ...
Joanne

o

No saddle but you get feathers up your...nose?

o

whatever ... tickles your fancy ...

i liked the larkspur reference ...

dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here