Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junebabe_gw

Trying to get Wicking right

junebabe
13 years ago

Hello Friends, I'm determined to use wicking to water the majority of my AVs. Used nylon stockings at first....nope the plants were just sopping wet. Then I tried the 4 ply acrylic yarn for the big plants and 2 ply for the little ones....nope way to wet except for the really big AVs. So now I'm rethreading yarn in most of my plants. I use 1:1&1/2:1 soil mix that you recomend on the forum. I wonder if I pack the soil too much? They are really wet. I've tried dumping the plant out and drying it out on paper towels. Its a lot of work....any suggestions? junebabe, Linda

Comments (7)

• alaizabelle
    13 years ago

I would try upping the perlite ratio, even to a 2. Also, did you rinse the perlite off before mixing it? The dust on it will hold in more water!

Just keep playing around with it, you'll find the perfect mix :)

• snappyguy
    13 years ago

I use a 1:1:1 mix and thin nylon mason's cord for the wick. Works great for me.

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I use a lot of perlite. Pretty much half perlite, half violet mix that I get from Bluebird Greenhouse. Tried making my own mix once, and I really didn't care for it. I don't know what it is, but the mix I purchase just seems fluffier. I use a wick (some sort of nylon twine, I believe) that I purchased from the same place, but I'm starting to change my mind about that one. It seems really prone to failing, for me. I think I may try out the acrylic yarn, myself. We'll see. I'm just tired of finding random violets here and there that are bone dry despite being wick watered, due to wick failure.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Linda -

try to put a layer of coarse perlite on the bottom of your pot - 1/3 " and keep your soil really fluffy when you repot the plant, do not press on it too much. I use Mason twine #18 on my plants just adding amount of wicks if the pot is larger than 3".

Quinn -

if you use acrylic yarn - cut the wicks to the length and soak it with several drops of dishwashing soap just before potting. They will be easier to start and less prone to failing. After some time you need to replace the wick if it gets pickled and stops working before it is time to repot the plant. I have a trailer right now - wick dries no matter what - I think I need to give up and repot it and replace the wick. It is almost time anyway.

i.

• junebabe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You Irina, Quinn, snappy guy and alaizabelle for taking the time to answer my request for help in wicking. Am using 1:2:1 soiling mix with the 2 being perlite. Am also puting about an inch of perlite in the bottom of my pots and have reworked my wicks. I think my AVs are doing better. Many thanks again, junebabe, smiles, Linda

• fred_hill
    13 years ago

Linda,
    I use acrylic yarn for wicking also. I split a 4ply worsted weight yarn in half for minis and semis and use the 4 plies for standards. I believe the trick is using a wicking mix for potting and now instead of mixing my own I purchase it from Cape Cod Violetry.
    Fred in NJ

• junebabe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Fred, Thanks again with your help on wicking. Think things are smoothing out now. I can see unusual growth with the big violets. The minis I got from Robs are doing well (so far) too.

Sponsored