Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunrtwilight

Decapitation // Hybridizing

LunRTwilight
10 years ago

I had to decapitate one of my violets. It was growing all wonky and wasn't doing well after burying its long, twisted neck, even in its baggie. I snapped off its head and pulled off one or two rows of leaves (dipped it in some root hormone) and potted it in a very small 2 1/2" pot and put it back in its baggie under my light. It almost immediately perked back up. I had to pluck off all the blooms (even the unopened ones) so it could focus its energy on growing roots instead of blooming. Its a shame, though, because it only just started blooming after I nursed it back to health. It was one I got from my boss to salvage it from neglect. I guess it could have been avoided if I had decapitated it to begin with, but I was new to surgery and I've learned so much since then. It seems to be doing very well now. More updates to come.

Oh, if everyone hasn't already, do a search on YouTube for African Violets. There are a lot of helpful (and humorous) videos out there. I have decided that AV people have entirely too muh fun at the shows. The video on hybridizing was particularly funny to me ("hot plant sex").

I have one seed pod already, and I'm practicing cross-pollinating my Optimaras. I figure, if I can get the hang of it on them, I can graduate to some of the fancier hybrids. Maybe one day, I will name my own hybrid! First, though, I've got to grow them from seed, but there is very little information out there that I've been able to find. I've heard it's rare, but obviously it can and has been done, unless its trademark secrets. I've always had a green thumb, and I'll figure it out. I tend to have more luck starting (most plants) from seed anyway. Has anyone purchased seed or had luck crossing their violets? I need to know what mixture of soil would be best for them because the seeds are "dust-sized"! Amazing that these plants start from something so tiny!

Lisa aka LunR (pronounced Lunar (after my great grandmother))

Comments (5)

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

I just had to decapitate one yesterday to restart from stem rot. I had to cut the stem back to the green part. (My club gave away plants that needed rescue treatment.) I have done this several times with some of my older plants and it has always been successful. Amazing plants!
    I did some Sinningia seeds last May and now have wonderful plants from them. When I do AV seeds I will do them the same way. I used the peat pellets (the ones that swell up in water) and took them apart to make a layer in a plastic salad container. I put holes in the bottom first. I dampened the peat, patted it smooth so the tiny seeds would not sink in. They are not supposed to be covered. I put the dust like tiny seed on a folded piece of paper and tapped them around the container as evenly as I could. I kept the lid on the container and a few days later I had sprouts. I kept the container under a light on my kitchen counter. It worked great. I followed the method used by a friend who did AV seeds the same way. Hope this helps.

• LunRTwilight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Perle! That is helpful. My seed pod is a couple of months old already (although I hear they can take up to ten months to mature), so for now it's a game of patience, but it gives me plenty of time to prepare in the meantime.

They are amazing plants, indeed. Cut off their roots? They grow new ones. Hack off a leaf? Stick it in soil and it grows new plants. Pinch off the crown? It grows suckers. They never cease to amaze me! It's like they thrive on mutilation. (Very controlled mutilation, but nevertheless, it kickstarts them into growth.) They adapt very well for "delicate houseplants". They don't thrive on neglect, but I've found them to be quite resilient with proper care.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Lun,

One of the most important things with AV seeds is not to cover them because they need light to germinate. I have never tried peat pellets but I have used straight peat without the perlite and vermiculite because I had it handy. You don't want the p. and v. because you don't want the seeds to fall where the light cannot reach them.

Also, when it comes time to transplant, a plant tag with a v-notch cut into it helps to lift the fragile plants from the sowing area.

AV's are amazing, aren't they? I am always floored when people say they are difficult.

Linda

• LunRTwilight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I heard someone say they used a pair of toothpicks to pick them up to transplant, also. Thanks for the tips. I knew they didn't need to be covered, but I didn't know they had to sit on top of the medium to germinate. Have you grown your seeds yourself or did you buy them?

The seed pod will shrivel when it is mature, but does it really take ten months? Do they burst open? Will it turn brown? How should I harvest it? My boss was fascinated that I had one develop. I think I pollinated it by accident. I have no idea which variety the pollen came from. I'm thankful for this forum because the information on this is so limited. I'm starved for knowledge, so I'm sorry if I sound like a curious four-year-old with my endless questions. How else are we to learn?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Lun,

Don't EVER apologize for asking questions! It's how we learn and someday you will be the one passing on the knowledge to the newbies.
    Here is a good site to help you with this. Lots of good information there.

I have started seeds; both mine and bought. Many seed pods come about as a surprise rather than an intentional cross.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel's Reflections: hybridizing