Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting problem

Posted by judypots (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 9:22

Help! A couple of days ago, I repotted Irish Iridescence. I took it out of its pot, gently scraped the outside of the stem that had been above the potting mix, cut off the bottom 1/3 of the root ball and replaced it back into the pot. I added potting mix to cover the stem close to the bottom row of leaves. I sprayed the plant to clean it off, and some water got into the pot, which I thought nothing of, since the new potting mix was dry. The next morning and today, the bottom row of leaves are very limp. The others are okay. What happened? What did I do wrong? I've repotted other plants similarly, with no problem, but I think this is the first time I scraped the outside of the stem that was sticking up above the potting mix. Could it be root rot from too much water? Would that have shown up so fast? Is it shock from cutting off too much of the root ball? What to do? This is one of my favorite plants - a constant bloomer and very pretty. Thanks.
Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting problem

Don't worry, Judy. You did exactly right. The plant is suffering from shock. A plastic bag over the whole plant will give it humidity and will probably bring those leaves back into health.

Nancy

o

Hi Judy,
If you have a violet ring to support the drooping leaves it might help a bit other than that you seem to bave done the right thing. You said when you repotted that the mix was dry. Did you sit the pot in water for a few minutes to dampen the mix?
Fred in NJ

o

Nancy and Fred, Thanks for your posts. I am relieved that I will probably not lose the plant. Fred, I did not sit the pot in water to dampen the mix. The 2/3 of the root ball still attached to the plant was already damp when I added dry mix. When I sprayed the plant to clean it up, some of the water got into the pot and dampened the new potting mix. Should I have done something different?

Judy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here