Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourhappyhome1

Newbie - Just Want to Talk

ourhappyhome
11 years ago

Hello to everyone. This is my first visit to this forum. I'm just discovering the wonder that is African Violets. It all started at the clearance rack at Lowe's. This summer, I bought a sick little African Violet for about $1. I have always loved houseplants, especially AV's but could never grow them successfully. Well, this one has done very well for me and I've been bitten by the bug! Aside from a few spots on the leaves (because my DH sprayed water nearby, but I still love him) my first violet is so perfect and so beautiful. Whenever I'm feeling down, I look over and see the little plant covered in delightful pink blooms, and it just brightens my day. So much so, that I made another trip to Lowe's last week and whatdoyaknow? More violets! This time, they were marked down to 25cents, so I came home with 4 more! Not only that, I pruned a few leaves and have started my own little leaflets. Only one problem. The discounted violets at Lowes are never labeled. I have no idea what varieties I have. My first plant is loaded with pale pink blooms. One of my new plants had dark, purple blooms. Is there any way to identify them? I'd like to raise cuttings to share with family and friends. It would be nice to know what I'm giving them.

Sorry for rambling. I'm just so happy and excited. I needed a new project and this one fell in my lap at just the right time. I've spent hours researching and watching videos but I know so little. Please share your thoughts, comments, tips and suggestions.

Blessings,

April

I will post pics once the newbies bloom.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction