Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misty4h

propagating sinningia with leaves

Misty4h
10 years ago

A friend gave me leaves off of sinningia Aurora Borealis. I want to try to root them but there is no info on rooting sinningias from leaves. Can anyone give me any tips? I was going to try using seed starting soil in a closed container. Does anyone have a better idea? Thanks.

Comments (9)

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

You can do them exactly like african violet leaves, they root easily. You might want to try going over to the Gesneriad forum, do a search on Sinningias, they have great info there.

• Jeffrey Mehlhorn
    9 years ago

I have never tried growing Sinningia from leaf cuttings, but like perle-de-or(zone7) said, you can propagate them as you would an african violet. I have propagated african violets before through leaf cuttings with great success rate. just remove half of the leaf, and cut the stem at an angle, dip the cut end of stem in rooting hormone (most garden centers have it on the cheap), poke a hole in the soil, and stick the stem in the hole. gently pack the soil around it, and cover the container with plastic wrap to keep moisture in, and a plantlet should sprout within a couple of months, as long as it doesn't get dried out. That's just what I found works, and should work for anyone else, too.

• Karin
    9 years ago

I have a sinningia speciosa leaf that was given to me, with roots already on, before Christmas. I planted it in a baggie and see plenty of roots, but no plantlets yet. I took the tip of it off yesterday to see if that would give it an incentive. We'll see. I'm not actually in a rush...

• Jeffrey Mehlhorn
    9 years ago

Sinningia speciosa will usually form a tuber first before sending up plantlets. did you use rooting hormone? That usually helps a lot.

• Karin
    9 years ago

I didn't, simply because it already had roots when given to me. I was hoping for a tuber, but have no previous experience with sinningia at all, and it seemed like asking for too much....

As long as it is alive, I can wait :)

• Jeffrey Mehlhorn
    9 years ago

maybe you should remove half of the leaf, as this may help encourage the plant to produce a plantlet. That's what I do with my African Violets when I make cuttings... That should work with Sinningia as well.

• Karin
    9 years ago

I cropped it a few days ago :)

• dbarron
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In my experience, the mother leaf usually dies on sinningia leaf cuttings before the new tiny tuber sends up its own leaves. Don't mess with it much, if it's still alive, it's doing what it's suppossed to and you can expect results when they happen. Just be careful not to keep the media too moist, esp if the mother leaf dies back.

• Karin
    9 years ago

Interesting. Its in a baggie, along with a ginormous av leaf, moist, but not being watered.