Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vikki_jo

Question in differences in streps?

Vikki
9 years ago

I've had AVs but am just starting to branch out into their kin. What's the difference, if any, between streptocarpella and streptocarpus?

Comments (9)

• terrilou
    9 years ago

They are two separate subgenus & recent DNA states they are not that closely related. Both come from Africa with Streptocarpus being the familiar straplike leaved plant that grows in a rosette & has those beautiful flowers. Streptocarpella are upright, shrubby type plants that can vine. They mostly have small blue flowers but a big basket of them is very lovely. DNA studies reveal that Streptocarpella & Saintpaulia are closely related. . . in fact some feel that African Violets should be reclassified as Streptocarpus. Wouldn't that be confusing!

• Vikki
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanx!

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Hmm, that's interesting. And I feel that there's a fairly large cultural divide between AVs and Streps. I usually can't grow AVs at home, I do better in a more constant climate like the office for those. Streps tend to appreciate cooler nights, where AVs don't.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Anyone interested in growing AVs and Streps together,
    Below is an Interesting website that answers questions:
    Debbie's African Violets
    home.earthlink.net/~onepinkpoodle/id14.html
    Streptocarpus. ... Basically, they take the same care as African Violets and can grow right alongside them. Anyone who ...

Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 15:51

• terrilou
    9 years ago

I grow several gesneriads together as per the picture. The bottom shelf features streps, AV's & & Kohleria. The latter needs the most light, so I try to elevate them. Upper shelf also has a Primulina & sinningia which needs lots of light for compact growth. You can trim Strep leaves if they are too long. I have found that Achimenes, smithiantha, Kohleria, & sinningia need the most light; strepts less but brighter than a violet. Primulina are similar to AV's.

Mealy bugs seem to be the worse pests of Strepts; otherwise, I think they are quite hardy. There are many compact Streps. I think Rob's Bristol series make fine plants. Try a few of the cousins; I think you will like them!

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Terrilou,
    Thank you so much for posting that beautiful photo! That was just what I was hoping to see! I probably will order from
    Lyon's, I hope they have some of the Rob's Bristol series!
    After I posted my first email, I found a website, so I replaced it with the name of the website. I have a real terror of mealy bug! I will be very careful! Your AVs are
    lovely! Impressive display! Joanne

• judyj
    9 years ago

Joanne,
    You might try Gary's out of Africa also.
    I must say that the strongest streps I've gotten were from VB, but the last lot came with PM, so VB is off my list for a while. Gary's are blooming now beautifully and I also got some polish streps from a woman on Ebay-Svetlana-that are quite healthy and nice as well. Though I've not ordered from Lyon's, I've found that Gary's and Svetlana's are pretty good sized "baby" plants-leaves 5-7 inches long and more mature than I got from VB.

Best,
    Judy

• terrilou
    9 years ago

I also recommend Garys out of Africa. My last strep order came from him & they were good strong plants. He offers quite a variety.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you for the great info and tips on where to order!
    When I am ready to place an order, will let you know what I
    decide upon. Joanne