Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

AV got really bad sunburn

philpet
10 years ago

Hi linda and everyone, long time I havnt posted but I come here every day to continue learning. Well about four days ago, the day was extremly hot, I mean HOT. When I came home frm work first thing I saw was my Vanda orchids with sunburn, I was shocked becaused they have been in that spot for over a year anyways when I went to check on my babies I found that about six of them had sunburn( they are all on the northside of my house) now this had me dumbstruck. But my most precious one got the worst its leaves looked scorched, now four days after its loosing the leaves that got the worst damage, it has lost about three and it was a young plant so it didn't have much to begin with,I tried placing a leaf to root when I just got it but it sent out roots and then died, so I didn't take another, I have repotted to a smal cup seeing it now only has three good leaves plus the sml crown, its roots look very healthy but I trim them a bit to fit in the cup, I did not enclose it because I am afraid with this heat it would cook. The two middle leaves are also burnt but I did not remove them as yet. My question is, did I do the right thing or should I have done something else? And to think I just started getting the hang of voilets, I even figure out how to get them to send babies. Wow I am so upset. Anyways let's hope it makes it. VELLETA.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Veleeta,

If your roots look good, that's a plus. Re-potting smaller due to leaf loss is also a good step. Continue to grow it as you would any other. Do not remove any leaves unless they are obviously dead; better damaged leaves than no leaves. I would put it in an area that is cooler and darker (not dark) than usual until it has time to grow out a bit. And keep it evenly moist.

Try not to be upset. (I know, easier said than done!). It happens to all of us. Chalk it up to a learning experience. When this one recovers, take another leaf and try again.

Good to hear from you although I wish it were a happier post!

Take care,
    Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Linda as always you always know how to make me feel better. VELLETA.

• bunnycat
    10 years ago

If the violets and orchids were on the north side of the house, is it possible that they were "cooked", not sunburned?
    I was given an assortment of gesneriad and violet leaves to root a couple of years ago. I planted them in solo cups, put them in a baking pan with a clear dome. I know not to put them in a sunny window. I had intended to take them upstairs to my light stand. But I forgot and left them on my desk in the library, about 7 feet from the window on a side wall. When the sun came around late in the afternoon, they apparently got really heated up. It is a southern exposure window, and was a very hot day. They all had brown mush spots later when I went back for them. Some died quickly, some took longer. Boo hoo!!!
    So I wonder if it was the heat that got yours if you had them facing north. Maybe a gentle oscillating fan would help them a bit on super hot days?

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bunnycat, they don't get direct sun because I use green house mesh right around them on my porch but I think that the heat was way too hot that day for them, I have not lost any as yet thank god but this was my favourite one 'warm summer sunshine' that got the most damage hopefully it will pull through. My problem is Violets are very hard to come by where I live so I am very upset when I loose one. I have to travel over 135 miles to replace or get a new one so you can understand my delima and not to mention the time it takes anyway let's keep my fingers cross and as linda says " its a learning experience". We win some and loose some. Thanks for your sugessions and support. VELLETA.

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should have added that of all my friends, I am the only one who grows AV. They all say they are too finiky or hard to grow everyone else grows orchid or other plants so I can't get a leaf or plant to replace from them. But I am determined to prove them wrong so I am on my own here for now. And I AM GETTING THERE :). VELLETA.

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

The plant in your photo looks to me as if it has a good chance to recover. Just give it some time and it should eventually pull through. Linda's tips were very good. I don't know what your climate is, but I always cover plants that are stressed. I would make sure this one is not near any sun or hot area though.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Perle,

Veleeta lives in Jamaica so that is one reason I thought it better not to cover her violet. I think with the hot climate covering it would make the heat stress even worse. What do you think?

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi perle, I live in jamaica as Linda said tropical climate and right now it very hot here. That's why I did not cover it. I tried rooting leaves that way and they all rotted but if I just put them down they are ok. This is a plant I don't want to loose so I did not run the risk with covering it. But I did take linda sugession and put it at a cooler area. The two big middle leaves are also damaged but it has three that are ok so hopefully it will be ok. Thanks again. VELLETA.

• sheilatse
    10 years ago

In a warm temperature country as mine, I dont grow in peat as I will get the same leaves symptom as your case and later die from overwatering symptom like. I grow them in perlite only and it grows!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Sheila,

Greetings to Malaysia! It sounds as though your perlite gives your violets the good drainage they need. Do you fertilize? How often? I have started leaves in perlite in the past with good success but I have never grown plants in it. Sounds like it might be a fun experiment.

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi sheila, I get root rot often too. I think I will try your sugession with the perlite and see. I have a few sml suckers so I will try on one of those. Thanks again Velleta.

• sheilatse
    10 years ago

I use wicking system and will dilute the fertiliser 1/4 from the label instruction and add on when the water level is low. To alternate with water only after 4 times add on fertiliser. Perlite is definitely very good for growing avs. I try vermiculite but still prefer perlite.

• Seshat Shanté
    6 years ago

samething happen devastated...almost all my leaves died but im taking extra care of her now. Hard lesson though

• aegis1000
    6 years ago

African Violets are tough.

Your plant looks good, despite the lost leaves.

Consider treating yourself to another ...

• Seshat Shanté
    6 years ago
    i am gonna get me a new one but i just wanna test my green thumb
  • Velleta Tardiel
    6 years ago

Wow, I didnt even remember making this post.

This shows just how far I have come, to the point I have so many I repotted 12 sucker to now gift to friend.

Ok small observation, because of the lost of leaves your plant has gotton smaller, which Means the pot is on the big side.

Be careful with your watering. The plant looks good otherwise. Velleta

plants to be gifted

• Seshat Shanté
    6 years ago
    im having trouble finding a pot the roots are all the way to the bottom is there a specific pot i should buy. when do you know to repot
  • Rosie1949
    6 years ago

HOLD IT! I just took another look at your plant before I hit the submit button. It looks to me like you have a nice little sucker tucked under the front leaf!!! Check it out! That is another baby plant!!!! Soooo, now let me add something else to my answer. Now THIS will test your green thumb!

After you gently shake the soil off the roots, take a razor blade or a sharp knife and gently cut into the violet trunk (not too much) just enough to get that baby off of her in one piece and put her in a Kcup, baggie or any tiny container with just a little BARELY damp soil so you can let her put down roots!!!! Another baby for you!!!!!

Ok, NOW proceed with the rest of this!

Velleta is correct. Your plant has "downsized" itself. I might suggest let the plant go a little dry, take it out of the pot, gently shake off any soil that will shake off and find a pot that the roots fit in and you don't need to add all that much soil. Your plant needs to work on filling the pot with good healthy roots and she will make new leaves before you know it. All will be well.

I know I am supposed to tell you to also take off flower buds when you repot but,,,,,,well most people don't want to. Just understand that flowers take a lot of energy from the growing plant, so I will leave that choice up to you.

Don't be in a hurry to use a bigger pot. Bigger is not always better in the plant world, they like to have "tight shoes" !

Vermiculite and Perlite. Vermiculite is designed to absorb and hold water then it releases it back to the soil after it starts to dry up.

Perlite doesn't absorb and hold water at all. It is added to the soil so it can make the soil more porous and the soil is not just one big "heavy" clump.

Two different products and two very different uses and results. NOW I am done,,,,,I think! lol Rosie

PS. Hi Velleta!!!!! Nice to see one of your older posts and know just how far you have come!!!!!

• Julie He
    6 years ago

Rosie,

When we meet, I really need you to teach me "Barely Damp". I can't seem to judge, thus the rotten leaves.

I got a leaf kit, a gift, from a seller on ebay. Her soil is pretty damp, so I thought ok since she sells starters she must be an expert. So I made all my other leaf soil like hers. Big mistake.

• Velleta Tardiel
    6 years ago

Julie, I have come to realize what works for one person does not for the other. You have to find your own style.

This means trial, error, failure and finally success. Keep at it . I did EVERYTHING and failed until I tried wicking, that was my breakthrough. You will eventually figure it out. Velleta

• Rosie1949
    6 years ago

Julie, no problem. We will have a really productive meeting! Oh and fun! Promise. And remember, any time you want to meet sooner, it is ok with me. Just email me.

Velleta,,,,,,,,yeah that is one secret we kept from you when we were trying to help you! The addiction!!!!!! Pleeeease don't hate us lolololololol!!!! Rosie

• HU-201631603
    3 years ago

I left two of my African violets outside in the sun leaves are scorched. not sure what I should do now.

• Rosie1949
    3 years ago

No pix? If there are any good leaves left, cut them off and start them. If not,,,,well,,,,lesson learned? Violets don't grow in direct sun outdoors. Rosie

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES