Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

comparing some noids for id

nwgatreasures
15 years ago

Ok, all you AV experts with a close eye for detail and knowledge of Optimaras....

I've nursed these babies to blooming stage so I can hopefully try to identify their names.

The kinds of blooms are similar in the fact that they both have what I call a "lacy" edge to the bloom; however, one is a purple color and one is a pink color.

Any suggestions?

{{gwi:376293}}

{{gwi:376294}}

Pretty sure they are Optimara since the person who gave them to me a few years ago said she got then on the sale table at Home Depot. I've not been able to get them to bloom in over 2 years until recently.

Thanks,

Dora

Comments (14)

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

I would say the top one is Optimara Anika and the bottom one is Optimara Cora

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dragonfly - I think you are right!

Finally, after more than 2 years, I have names....Yeah!

Thanks so much,
    Dora

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

I don't think this is optimara Cora. I grew this some time ago and have a small plant now that is not in bloom. Optimara Cora is white with blue.

Nancy

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nancy,
    The 2nd picture is white w/ blue (purple). What color is showing on your screen?

I went to look and it's a pretty good match (although nothing is poured in cement) and then sent it to a few of the people in our society and asked for feedback. If this isn't it (Cora) then I think we are very close.

Dora

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

dora,golly-gee, you didn't offer leaves of these two, when you offered me leaves!!!!and i don't blame you one little bit. but please do let me know when your ready tolet a few go to new homes. they are gorgeous.molly

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Molly,
    I'm I'm not mistaken, you got leaves to at least one of these...but I'm not sure which ones you got...those are the Optimara Surprise ones that I sent (if I have my people straight :)

Once the weather warms up in the spring, it will be safe to ship leaves/plants again but I wouldn't want to chance it now. I don't think it would be a 'win-win' situation for either of us.

How are the ones that I did send you doing?

Dora

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

dora, please don't take me serious if i sound whiny,that was a joke.i alway try to joke ,it doesn't come off as funny on the computer. the babies are fine, just starting to strech out thier leaves. i don't know if i got one of these pretties or not, i got orchid trailer,dora's surprise,pink v,& pink dove.. i just love 'em. i can wait till spring for something that pretty,i be wITING,MOLLY

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi,
    All whining aside, I don't approve of searching for a name to match a violet. Personally I would not chance naming them with Optimara or Rhapsodie names. If I felt they were good enough to show I would rename them using another name altogether. If you don't want to show them you really don't need a name. If you want to send leaves to people I would just tell them that they are NOIDS.
    Fred in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Molly, I took it in the spirit intended :) Don't worry :)

The Dora's surprise (I think) may be the one that is white/purple. Once you get a bloom, you'll know I guess.

So Fred - tell me about how renaming works and how that fits into entering in a show. I thought that you had to have a named (and perhaps registered) variety to enter in a show.
    Feel free to begin a new thread if you wish.

Dora

• bspofford
    15 years ago

It's a rainy, gloomy day here in Maine, so if I come off a little crabby, I apologize.

Since we aren't 'texting' here and have lots of room for punctuation, spacing, caps in the appropriate place, it makes your post so much easier to read when you use it.

Good growing,

Barbara

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Barbara - dear -

look at your violets and cheer up! I bet they are looking at you with their wide open eyes ;0) and like this ;-) and like this ;=)).

And pack and move to Colorado with all your violets. We have it sunny - not a cloud - and warm today and the rest of the week!

When we have rain or snow - everybody is excited and says - we need moisture.

Hugs

Irina

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Oh, Irina, the thought of having to move makes my blood run cold. I could literally walk out of my house and leave most of my furniture and stuff, but 30 seed flats of leaves/plantlets and about 150 plants stops me dead in my tracks! I'm going to visualize how many will fit in the van.......
    Maine usually has pretty nice weather, much sunnier than my former home of Seattle. A friend told me it was the ***hole of the US. I asked her in what way, and she said 'just look at it on the weather map. All the weather systems blow out of the US through Maine'. And she's right about 95% of the time!

Barbara

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Isn't Maine incredibly beautiful - when it is not gloomy?

I.

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Yes, drop dead gorgeous. And not so gloomy..... I guess I've been away from Seattle to no longer be accustomed to it, so 2 days in a row is really unusual. And in the winter, there are times I look out, the sun is shining, I KNOW it must be at least 50 out, but no, only 10. And the lobster is only $3.99 a pound right now!!!!!

Barbara, sorry for getting off the thread.....