Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mold on soil and transplanting babies

Posted by Vsjo z7GA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 05 at 10:26

Why does this white mold form on the top of the soil in my pots? I water with diluted violet food every time I water; should I change the way I water?

I have several plants with babies forming in their pots. I would like to transplant the babies to their own pot and give the larger plants as Christmas gifts. If I do, is it possible for the larger plants to continue blooming for Christmas after the disurbance of being re-potted?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mold on soil and transplanting babies

Violets have their own bloom cycles and it is difficult to predict if they will be in bloom at that time. Some are heavy bloomers(which we all like)and then there are others which have much shorter cycles. Removing suckers and repotting in fresh soil will be good for all plants involved. Sometimes they do go into some shock so perhaps you should do this now and see what the reaction will be, giving yourself time for the plant to recover. Don't overpot as your plant will put all its energy into forming roots. The suggested formula is pot size 1/3 width of leaf span.

There is a schedule to bring a plant into bloom for a specific date. This is based on plants grown under lights, with repotting, disbudding and increasing time grown under lights on a specified schedule. You didn't mention if you have your plants under lights so unless you need this information I won't go into a specific schedule.

Mold growing on top of soil is usually harmless. It loves warm, moist conditions so repotting your violet would be helpful. Be careful not to overpot, use lightened African violet potting mix(add perlite), and watch watering practices(don't let water sit in saucers).

I hope someone has their Christmas brightened from your thoughtful gift!

Elaine

o
RE: mold on soil and transplanting babies

Hi vsjo,
Spraying occasionally with neem oil, and having algae in the soil prevent's the mold growing on the soil, and doesn't seem to hurt the plants either. It works for me.
I think Elaine is right though, mold on the soil doesn't seem to hurt the plants, but it is ugly if the soil is visible.
Russell

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here