Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Unwelcomed Help From My 4 Year Old

nwgatreasures
15 years ago

A few days ago, I caught my 4 yo up on the ladder helping herself to the spray bottle of Phyton 27.

She explained to me that she was "spraying for bugs."

She had sprayed just a few at her height when I stopped her and explained that only mommy could spray and that the spray was poison to little girls and little boys.

This morning, when I was looking at some of my plants, I discovered these spots on the blooms of this plant. Are the spots from where she sprayed them last week?

{{gwi:376372}}

As a point of reference, this is the same plant that I was so proud of the picture quality a few weeks ago. Nancy mentioned that she thought the plant might be Optimara Virginia.

Do you think the spots are from being sprayed with the Phyton 27?

Thanks,

Dora

Comments (10)

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

Yes Dora, I think so - especially if the plant was in the sun or under bright lights while it was wet with the Physan 27

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whew!
    Can I just leave them alone or do I need to remove the blooms?

Do you think that it's possible this could be the same plant as the one in the link below?

Dora

Here is a link that might be useful: Optimara Georgia

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

If the spots don't bother you, I see no reason to remove the blooms.
    The plant shown here looks a lot like my Optimara Michigan to me but most any plant with solid green foliage and plain pink blooms will be next to impossible to positively identify.

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What had me thinking Optimara Georgia is the ovate serrated leaves description.

but then....I went back to compare description of Michigan and see that there are similarities and it calls for a red reverse....for years, my NOID plant has had almost a black purple leaf backing with very prominent veins on the backside of the leaves and the petioles have traditionally been long.

The mission continues :) Thanks so much for the feedback and dialogue. It continues to be most helpful.

Dora

• frank325
    15 years ago

Make a note of this, so that when she turns 16 and gets her license, you withhold the keys for a week because of this incident.

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, Frank :)

That's too funny.

I caught her this afternoon in front of the plant stand talking to this plant (which is at her eye level standing on the floor) saying how sorry she was for spraying poison on her and making her have the chicken pox.

I just had to smile and be mindful to live in the moment. She has such fun doing these flowers with me and I thought that I had the spray up where she couldn't get to it but she took the step ladder and got up there to get it so she could help.

I don't think she'll do it again though.

And besided....I don't think I would remember this when she is 16. She is my 4th child and the oldest is 21...I'm doing good to remember something that happened last week :)

LOL,
    Dora

• frank325
    15 years ago

Oh, she's the 4th. That's another story, we can get away with anything ;-) (I'm the baby)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Dora,
    I'm against looking for a violet name for a NOID. There are too many violets in the MVL that are similar and one can never be sure that the plant is that variety. If you don't intend to show it you really don't need a name. If you did want to show it I would give it a generic name like Dora's Gem or something like that. If you want to give leaves to someone just make them aware that the plant is a NOID.
    Fred in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hear you Fred - and I'll take it under advisement.
    I kind of like the challenge in matching them up even thought I am fully aware that there still may be error.

I have had these 4 or 5 plants for years and I wanted to give them a name. I did....Dora's Surprise, Pinky V (which is my very favorite foliage). I'm gonna wait and see what the blooms look like before I name the rest though.

Thanks,
    Dora

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Dora -

it is not a challenge. It is hopeless. There are 15000 registered and tons of not registered. And exactly as Fred mentioned - there are so many look-a-likes there - that you pick one and you deceive yourself and the people you are sharing it with. Just imagine - you will share the leaves with somobody, they will grow it beautifully, bring it to the Show - and get disqualified because it is not it.

Dora's Surprise is lovely, and Dora's Pinky V too.

Good luck

Irina