Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faintlymacabre

Fungus Gnats & Rooibos Tea

quimoi
13 years ago

I've had no idea where to post this because I wish someone else would test it.

For non tea drinkers, rooibos is a South African plant whose leaves are used to make a red "tea." I started drinking it when they discontinued a drink called Postum, claiming that nobody drank it except me and a few Mormons. I'd worked with some Mormons and they never bothered my Postum so maybe it was just me ;).

I drink a lot of tea and my husband was complaining about the wetness of the leaves in the garbage bags (plastic was too simple, I guess). I started putting the used leaves, in a bowl and they attracted fungus gnats. However, I noticed that they did not bother the rooibos leaves.

There were a lot of young coleus in the window near our table and they were attracting gnats too. After I had eaten one too many, I "mulched" the plants with the dried tea "grounds" and it worked. I was paying for a bark mix anyway, so I mixed some into the soil and it didn't seem to harm them.

I think I did some young violets too but I am struggling to find a good mix and I'm not sure what this really does in a mix. All I know is that the gnats leave it alone.

I buy the loose Rooibos by the pound and make 2 cups of tea from a heaping tsp. in a diffuser so the leaves are well sterilized. They are lighter than real tea, both in color and they dry faster. This seems worth investigating if anyone drinks this stuff. It's supposed to be healthy.

(I am not really able to do my own testing but wanted to share in case anyone else could investigate.)

Diana

Comments (4)