Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nashuan

Search for vintage Eyerdom/Granger Gardens varieties

nashuan
11 years ago

I would love to trade leaves/starters with anyone who has different Eyerdom varieties. Send me a private message through this board or contact me at: blackie2600@AOL.com.

KEY: * Rooting leaf, or struggling plant

** Hasn't bloomed yet; I can't guarantee that it will bloom true. I will update this listing as time goes by.

Here's the list of the 65 Eyerdom/Granger Gardens varieties that I have so far managed to collect:

Arcturus **

Blue Lace **

Blue Silverado **

Candy Cane *

Chanticleer *

Coralette *

Crimson Frost *

Cristabel *

Emiko *

Emilie Savage *

Elegance *

Evening Shade *

Fantasy Fringe *

Fantasy Sparkle

Firebird I

Firebird II

Firehouse *

Garnet Elf *

Granger Gardens' Green Eyes *

Granger's Blue Sparkler *

" Cameo Queen *

" Carnival

" Desert Dawn

" Elektra *

" Fantasy Lace

" Heart's Desire

" Mexicali Rose

" Peach Frost

" Sugar Frost

" Sylvan Blue

" Twilight Halo *

" Wonderland *

Interlude *

Comments (37)

• nashuan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My list of Eyerdom's that I've already collected was cut off half-way through. Here are the rest of them:

Itsuko *
    Kazumi
    Kilauea
    Kingwood Blue *
    Lavender Lace
    Lavender Tempest *
    Marie Lorraine
    Mauna Kea
    Mauna Loa **
    Mellow Magic **
    Midnight Aurora *
    Ming Blue *
    Misty Cloud *
    Montgomery Silver Frost *
    My Fair Lady *
    Pink Amiss
    Purple Crest
    Purple Frost *
    Raspberry Glow Sport *
    Raspberry Halo
    Rebecca *
    Red Admiral *
    Red Electra **
    Redland's Pride *
    Seafoam
    Shimmer Frost **
    Tye-dyed Sport *
    Tropical Sunset *
    Vince's Choice *
    Violet Dawson *
    White Madonna
    White Puff

• parr
    11 years ago

So the ones that you do not have a star by are the ones you are still looking for? If so email echoval@mwt.net

• nashuan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just to be clear, I've collected leaves or starter plants of ALL the varieties I've listed. Some collectors have already asked me for leaves of coveted varieties (and I have obliged them when possible), but, obviously, if I only have a rooting leaf of the requested variety, I have nothing to spare for them. Likewise, if a variety hasn't bloomed yet, I can't guarantee that it is the correct variety. Thus the "*" and "**" codes following certain variety names. By next spring, I hope to be able to accommodate more requests for leaves, and actually, that's my goal! To "spread the wealth" and make sure these varieties don't disappear forever.

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

I really hope your project goes well. I have two Eyerdoms, still just leaves put down though. Saving them sounds like a great idea.

• nashuan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, this Forum may not have been the best place to ask for help with my project: only two people have bothered to respond, and nobody at all has mentioned having Eyerdom/ Granger Gardens varieties besides the ones I already have. I hate to think that nobody is interested; I'd rather think (sadly) that other Eyerdom varieties may no longer exist in cultivation. But I will keep looking for them.

• bunnycat
    11 years ago

Hello,
    This isn't a super busy site. Not sure how many active members belong, but I'm sure most of us have jobs and/or other obligations, so it is unrealistic to always expect an immediate response to your question.
    Reeds Greenhouse has unfortuneately closed, but left the photo gallery up. I can see many Eyerdom/Granger violets listed. Several you apparently don't have:
    Amigo
    Artist's Dream
    Blue Tempest
    Calais
    CoraLaire
    Fantasy Royal
    Juliana
    Mellow mist
    Raspberry Mist
    Silver Summit

Since Mr. Reed says on his site he has started a new business, I don't know if he would be willing to put you in contact with the people who offered their pictures for his site. Those people may not want to be contacted (their choice, of course)
    But you could try contacting him.

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Hi, We've been in contact before through another forum. I have a small plant of Mellow Mist, which you don't have on your list. I also have a few that you have listed as * - some that I have are established plans, or some are smaller plants still coming to maturity. I also have a few leaves. I'll be in touch with you in the spring. I would definitely love to be able to trade. I am moving my collection toward all vintage or species, so I understand the importance and desire to distribute these special violets so they are not lost forever.

~ Sue

• nashuan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice. I don't know how long this thread will remain visible, but I'm hoping that growers of vintage AV's will see it and contact me, whether they want leaves of my Eyerdom varieties next spring, or have different Eyerdoms in their collections to trade. I'm amazed (and grateful)for the responses I've had so far.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    11 years ago

I'd love some Eyerdom/Grangers. I, too, think it's important to keep the oldies in cultivation.

• Corinne Zellner
    6 years ago

Just found this thread. If you know anyone that has a Heart's Desire for sale (or Fredette's Feather) I would love to buy one. I'm in Florida. Thanks for your work with the vintage varieties. Seems like everyone wants the newest ones, but that could stem from ignorance.

• alabamaav
    6 years ago

Fancy bloomers in NJ had Fredette's feather listed. It may be out of stock presently.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Corinne - I have Heart's Desire, Feather - I do not know if I got the babies from my leaves. But it is still winter in CO. I would like to swap for some other oldie. Contact me.

• Corinne Zellner
    6 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Alabamaav, I have been on her waiting list since last year. Irina, I sent you a message about your offer, but I don't know if you got it.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

Corinne- I found your message - it just gets more and more cumbersome to email from houzz. Your account option is - you do not accept emails - even from followers. So I got your email - but there is no return email in it,

Anyway - I have Carolina Elegant Affair - it is not a vintage - it is a relatively new introduction, I love it, The only thing - if you propagate it - you need to grow several of them to bloom - it should be pale pink with white - but sometimes it is almost white - and sometimes too pink. But it is worth the trouble - it is a gorgeous one. There is another one - a good pink with white - an older Russian - 'Pink Watercolor' - more stable. I am not that much in pinks - but there are some really good ones worth a place in a collection.

No, do not need Michelle. Excellent vigorous plant, good one for beginners, I grew it when I just got into this hobby.

Try to change your preferences on email - so I can get your address.

I.

• Amy
    6 years ago

nashuan, there is a forum called the brat pack 2 with many growers who enjoy vintage plants. have you tried that forum? my collection is small and the only eyerdom i grow is Lavendar Tempest, presently in bloom.

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

Irina, I am in mid propagation efforts as far as Carlines Elegant Affair. I put down four leaves and all of them worked. What your saying is that if I want a copy of my original CEA, I should grow three or four of these starters to maturity to ck for trueness?

I was going gift most of them anyway. I guess Ill hold on to a few of them until they show what they're going to do.

• Corinne Zellner
    6 years ago

I have several Elegant Affairs, so I will hang on to a couple as well, although I can get a baby/leaf from the people I have already given some to. I looked at Pink Watercolor but decided on Lyon's Angel's Innocence instead. Irina, I changed my account settings to accept any messages, so I should be getting yours from now on. (Along with lots of marketing spam, probably!) If there is anything specific you want I can keep an eye out for it locally at our club, plus Laura Perdoma (owner of the Peacock Cottage and the distributor for Dandy Pots) goes to Harmony Violets/Nursery regularly and I can have her look for something in particular. They have other varieties in addition to their own cultivars.

• fortyseven_gw
    6 years ago

Lyon's Angel's Innocence is lovely. I grew it a few years ago when one of the senior club members was doing a study of whites and yellows

• irina_co
    6 years ago

I love Harmony Greenhouses - and they have treasures there,

Like Pink Watercolor better. Personal preference. Leaves are fuzzy and velvety.

Jeff - if you are gifting your plants - gift them with a first blossom open. You will get more hugs and kisses.

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

Hugs and kisses are always nice. More often than not, the plants that I gift are in full bloom. The ladies at the old folks home seem to like them with buds but not yet open. Gives them something to look forward to and wonder about.

Gifting can have a degree of urgency about it during AV shipping season. Sometimes I let my enthusiasm get away from me and end with with a half dozen new plants on the way and no good place to put them.

My "want" list has grown quite a bit just in the last month. Some culling is definitely in order shortly, shipping season is just around the corner!

• Corinne Zellner
    6 years ago

I do like fuzzy leaves, but it seemed Watercolor was a lot more pink than Angel's Innocence. I like the splash of color on the white, frilly leaves. I was given a whole tray of Carolina's Elegant Affair babies and am growing them out but they are still small. I have already given a couple away as people have lost it over the years; one friend said it was her mom's favorite. I will have to see how I feel about it once it matures. That is a great idea, Jeff. Not only will they get something pretty but something to take care of, which can give someone purpose. It would probably be good to include large print, simple care instructions so they or their caregivers will know how to keep it happy.

• Corinne Zellner
    6 years ago

I meant to say frilly petals!

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

Assisted living facilities are loaded with plant experts! If you walk in with a tray of plants they will locate you with a secret locating beam!

• Corinne Zellner
    6 years ago

Still, it would be good to have a Violets for Dummies cheat sheet, as "experts" like to over-complicate things sometimes. For example, many people say to ONLY water them from the bottom. For me (at least at the moment) I prefer to water from the top. AVSA says do whatever works for you, but don't get cold water on the leaves and don't put it back under lights until leaves are dry. People are often terrified of getting a drop of water on the leaves but we know they like the occasional bath. So it's good to know your options.

• fortyseven_gw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi, The Optimara website has instructions.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

People 70 years ago were growing plants in a garden loam, fertilizing them with old tea and eggshell infusion. I do not believe they would be winning any modern shows with this technique but plants lived and bloomed on the windowsills and were passed from generation to generation. Our plants are tough. Not old wives tales are absurd, some have a lot of common sense. Watering from the bottom prevents soil compacting. On the other side - getting leaves wet is not going to kill the plant - but if exposed to the draft or bright light - can produce spots. So - blot it or wait until it dries before moving it back to the shelf.

Experts form a nursing home will probably give all kind of advice of this type. I do not expect any grand secrets - but nothing that will seriously harm the plants.

• Jeff Zenner
    6 years ago

Truth be told, very few of them can keep a plant for very long. Too many distractions, medications and limitations. I don't mind and they really do like them.

• irina_co
    6 years ago

I think it is a good place for extras and sports. They will bring joy and last much longer than a bunch of cur flowers.

• Corinne Zellner
    6 years ago

The other nice thing is that if the recipient passes away, hopefully a friend or relative will adopt it in remembrance of their loved one.

• fortyseven_gw
    6 years ago

A friend of mine, an older woman, had a friend from an old AV club that had closed when the president died. Her friend had a plant room of AVs for years, and years, including vintage varieties that she kept propagating. When she passed away, her husband sold the house and let all the AVs go. He moved far away to stay near their only daughter. Her extensive plant stands and lights ended up in the basement of an antique shop where they have been for a few years now. They are just too high priced. Only an AV collector would want them. Sigh.

• Corinne Zellner
    6 years ago

That's really sad. Even more reason to share plants with others; at least that helps keep different varieties out there and hopefully, a little something of the person who originally shared them. I have plants and trees in my yard that I got from friends and family members over the years. They have since passed but when I'm messing around with the plants it brings back memories. (Even if it's just to say, NOW I see why you wanted to get rid of this darn thing!)

• fortyseven_gw
    6 years ago

Tee hee!

• lccntryrox
    4 years ago

I have a friend who is looking for Mauna Loa. Any suggestions where I can get one? Thanks!

• 1beautylover2012
    4 years ago

Hi! I have Chanticleer, Firebird II, Granger Gardens' Green Eyes, Interlude, Kazumi just sold, Lavender Tempest, Montgomery Silver Frost in bloom - still want them?

• HU-186085469
    last year

Used to visit Grangers and buy from them in the 1980’s when i had my violet business. closed my business, moved from WV to VA and went back to teaching. Unfortunately, due to a house fire in 1990, i lost most of my collection. i have Kilauea (growing babies from bloom stems) , Emilie Savage, Artcturua, Firebird and leaves of Wonderland Would love to purchase Granger’s Heart’s Desire, Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, Desert Dawn, Lavendar Tempest, Garnet Elf, Coralette, and Seafoam Would also like White Madonna (suppose to be their first plant). Bought the original Valencia and Desert Dawn for $50, brought them home, crowned them out and sold the babies Hate that all the Eyerdoms that i knew have passed away. Last i was up there was when they were closing in 1996.

• HU-131299527
    last year

I have been looking for the African Violet Emilie Savage. Anyone have leaves they would be willing to sell or trade?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner