Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needinfo001

How long does it take for an AV leaf to get to full growth?

needinfo001
9 years ago

I have an AV i got for a dollar at lowes. The flowers were dried up but it had nice leaves. I over watered it and most of the leaves died. I only have 1 big leaf and 4 smaller leaves and 1 teeny tiny leaf that is coming up. How lond does it take to get big and will it ever reflower?

Comments (5)

• snappyguy
    9 years ago

The amount of time between putting down a leaf to start a new plant and when the plant is fully grown is highly variable. Some leaves put out babies right away, but I've also heard of some taking a year to do so, though this latter case is unusual. My experience tells me that it takes about a month for babies to appear. Once separated and potted individually (only once big enough) the plantlets will continue to grow and often flower within 6-9 months, though the plant will not be full grown at this point. A full grown plant might take 12-18 months, but this is all variable and depends on your exact hybrid and growing conditions. This is just what I've noticed from my own experience. Interestingly, the plants I've grown from seed seem to flower in the same amount of time as those grown from leaves.

Mark

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Mark
    What plants have you grown from seed? Did you hybridize your own or use the Park's or Nadeau Fantasy seeds? Very interesting that seeds and leaves take the same amount of time. Tells us something about the gestation, doesn't it? The plant must have to go through a process, whether starting as a clone, which a leaf is, essentially, or starting as a new individual, from a seed. Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 23:32

• judyj
    9 years ago

It does seem to depend alot on the variety. Mid-August, I planted about 20 leaves. One had babies within a week (I kid you not!), that was Rob's Boolaroo. The other Bolaroo leaves took a little longer, but still all had babies before anyone else.

The Gallwinku babies (leaves smaller than Bolaroo) though took about a month to show up.

Another I planted, a NOID, just sent up babies about two weeks ago. The second leaf of this NOID is still happy and turgid-but, no babies yet! All the others were somewhere in between, the average about a month. These were all grown in the same flat, under the same conditions. I'd been wondering if the large leafed varieties take longer. The NOID is a very large plant and the leaves are easily 3 + inches wide and a little taller.

This is interesting to me. I would love to hear more folk chime in on the varieties and time it took!

Best,
    Judy

• lucky123
    9 years ago

oneedinfo001
    Are you asking about a plant that was discounted to a dollar at a big box store that you overwatered and now has one big leaf and a few smaller leaves with one small leaf growing from the crown, then your question would be, how long before the damaged plant regrows and blooms?
    Or are you asking about leaves that you cut off the dollar plant and you are now have small plants, aka mouse ears, emerging from the base of the leaves and you want to know how long before the emerging plants flower?

This post was edited by lucky123 on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 20:17

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I think the question refers to a plant that has lost most of its leaves, not to leaves that were put down. If the plant is well cared for, it should grow its full compliment of leaves. The time frame varies with different varieties but since you got it at Lowe's, it is probably an Optimara. These are tough violets and should send up new growth quickly if well cared for.

I would re-pot into a smaller pot because over-watering is a very real threat to a violet in a 4'' pot that has very few leaves. Be careful not to over-water and give good light and it should re-flower. You might want to read previous posts on general culture.

Linda