Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
special pots - special instructions?

Posted by gruenwelt ND - zone 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 07 at 12:02

I recently ordered some AV pots - they are in two pieces - an outer pot to hold water and an inner, unglazed pot for the violets. I can see that the soil stays moist. If I put fertilizer in the water, will that also be abosered through the inner? Would I also water from above? Any other things to be aware of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: special pots - special instructions?

gruenwelt -

Can you unorder them? They are really not the best for the plants, mainly they look very nice.

If you want to try self watering pots - I think the best are Oyama pots.

If you get these pots and cannot send them back - there are several things you can do to make them work. You need super light soil - 1:2:1 - peat perlite vermiculite. You can take a store bought AV soil and cut in half at least with perlite. You pot your violets and do not fill the reservoir until they are up and growing and big enough - so the leaf span is 3 times bigger than the pot diameter. Water from the top. So - do not put baby AVs there, you need to move big violets and if your soil on your violets is heavy - like what they sell AVs in stores - you need to shake it off and remove as much as possible.

Good luck

Irina

Yes - the porous ceramic will pass the fertilizer. You can use a weak solution of 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon per gallon for each watering. Try to find one without urea, Peters Specialized for AVs etc.

Put the leaves down from the violets you are repotting - so if they will die - you will still have the babies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here