Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2005

Lospided AV - how can I fix?

Begonia2005
11 years ago

This is one of my plants that has been doing quite well since I got it from Pikes. It is a blue NOID, probably Optimara, it has buds coming out, it didn't go through re-potting shock, seems quite resilient.

The only trouble I've had with it is that it was lopsided from the beginning.

I followed the classic advice to rotate the pot about one quarter every few days, but it didn't seem to change. Over the past few weeks it was placed under artificial lights on a stand that also sits at the window. So now it gets a combination of natural light and artificial light.

I have placed the part with the shorter leaves towards the window - but I am not sure this is correct because over the past week the AV seems to have gotten EVEN MORE lopsided than it was before. The longer leaves (to the left) grew even more, while the shorter leaves stayed about the same.

What am I doing wrong? When you want to make the plant even, which leaves should be placed towards the light source (window): the short ones or the long ones?

I thought it was the short ones, so they can be seen by the light and grow...but on a different logic perhaps the long ones should be placed closer to the light source, so that the short ones can start reaching up too; but then again, would they reach OVER the pot?...because the light source would be in THAT direction. I just don't understand.

Given the plant you see in the picture, which part should I place close to the window? Granted, with the days getting shorter and cloudier, it is not like the plant is getting a lot of natural light anyway; but when the sun is out, it gets some.

As for the artificial light, it comes from above so it should have the same effect on all sides. Perhaps this is why the long leaves grew even more?

Any advice will be appreciated; as you can see I am still in AV school. I wonder if will take a a PhD. :-)))) ...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions