Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovescritters

Leggy AV's--Help Needed!!

lovescritters
17 years ago

I know this subject has been asked before but I didn't copy it and now I need this advice. Some of my oler African Violets are getting leggy and the stems are callused and nasty looking. I am hoping that the person who replied before with the diagram will see this post and send it to me. I need to know how to trim off the leggy part of the plant and replant the top part. Thanks in advance for any info. Please email me at: dschleeter@aol.com if you want or I will check back on this board in a couple of days.

Thanks so much,

Dar S

Comments (4)

• robitaillenancy1
    17 years ago

African violets become "leggy" when there is not enough light. If you have a light garden, put the plant right in the center and consider lowering the light or raising the plant on an overturned pot. Outer leaves may be removed, as well.

Nancy

• lilypad22
    17 years ago

Did you get a reply? I take it you are referring to a violet with a long neck? Long stem where the older leaves have died off thru the years? If so, You need to take a knife and scrape off that calloused part of the stem that is growing above the soil line. Then repot the plant, taking off some of the lower leaves if you think they need to go, then cutting off some of the bottom root ball so you can sink the plant down into the pot so that the stem you just scraped can be covered with soil. New roots will quickly grow out of that scraped area. If you do not scrape the neck/stem to get to that scale off, that stem will not grow new roots. Cover the plant in plastic bag or put in a plastic container (I use those plastic deli containers store cakes come in). .. for about a week or two. Turn the plant more often so it doesn't "reach" for the light so much. I was really surprised the first time I seen someone do this at a violet meeting, but I went home and tried one of my plants, it was hard to scrape it cause I didn't want to kill it, but it turned out a wonderful plant. So every now and then I fixed another of my older plants and they are bigger and healthier. Oh and if by chance the stem should break off from the root ball, just repot it without the rootball and that scraped stem will root out just fine, you'll just need to keep it under plastic a little longer. tish

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

All the above info is good in referring to leggy plants. That also is one good indications that your plants are not getting enough light. The same things happened to my plants they became very leggy even thou I turned them a quarter turn every few days. It would be a good thing to give them some added time under artificial lighting , floresant.

• oldfool55
    17 years ago

I've had violets for about 9 months and was worried about them dieing if i did something that i thought sounded bad. Like scraping the stem, trimming the roots, or cutting the crown off and repotting. I've had good luck with mine, so far, and have learned a lot from this site and AV books. So dont be worried about trying things on your violets.