Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sueok_gw

Tea time!

sueok_gw
9 years ago

Just wanted to share a photo. EverGrace, Buckeye Gift Wrapped, Michigan, and Simpler Times. All very young. Amazing how much bigger the blooms are on Simpler Times.
Sue

Comments (18)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, Sue,
    Thanks for Tea Time!
    Is the pale blue one on the left EverGrace?
    I just got a light blue Optimara
    that looks like your light blue one.
    Simpler Times has large blooms, the leaves will also get large.
    What is your china pattern? I will try to do a still life with my violet transferware for you.

On the Gallery I recently
    posted a photo taken on my patio table of Apache Victory
    and friends. Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 3:51

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

What a lovely display!

• sueok_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Here's a closer shot of EverGrace. It's hard to show the color correctly though.

I think this is stoneware, from the Cracker Barrel Store. It was a flea market find that I couldn't resist! The rectangular teapot is what caught my eye. There are 4 cups and saucers and 4 plates like the one in this photo.

I'll look forward to seeing your display, Joanne. I looked at the gallery. That's beautiful!

Thank you, Annececelia.

Sue

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Very nice.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Your tea set is lovely, too!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Sue,
    I especially like your teapot, too! I did not get to set up my tea time photo yet. However, I posted a few photos on the Gallery. Joanne

• judyj
    9 years ago

Joanne,
    How does one find specific pictures in the gallery? I get lost every time I go there!

Best,
    Judy

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Judy, The most recent one I posted is called "For Sue" and is the first one at the top of the thread list. It will stay there until someone responds to it, just like the Discussion Forum. Hope that helps. It is not as active a Forum as this one is. Joanne

• sueok_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your nice comments. I enjoy seeing everyone else's violets, so I'm happy to be able to join in! I realize that most of you have really awesome, fancy violets, and you've probably spent lots of money getting them, but thanks for letting me feel like I belong here just because I love them too. :)

Don in CO, do you have violets, too?

Sue

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi, Sue,
    For several years, I just read the Forum and did not register to share because I thought it was only for experts who had a lot of plants and knew a lot more than I did. So I learned a lot just by reading and cleared up a lot of bad growing habits I had acquired before I really knew what I was doing. However, once I started sharing more, my collection grew
    quite a bit and my violets did a lot better. Many of us who
    share often have not been on the Forum that long. Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Sue,

One of the nice things about violets is that you don't have to spend lots of money to build up an impressive collection. (This can also work against you as you can quickly run out of room!) I also grow orchids. That's the money pit hobby!

Linda

• rochesterroseman
    9 years ago

Those plants look amazing in the tea cups. I would love to try that but how do I be sure that they are getting adequate drainage? Is there a special way to water them in a container that has no holes?

• sueok_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are just sitting in the teacups, in their 3oz. plastic cups with drainage holes. I water them, and then make sure to empty the teacups. :)
    Sue

• rochesterroseman
    9 years ago

Thank you Sue. That is so clever. The little plastic cups are completely invisible inside the tea cups. Are they just regular plastic cups, or small flower pots?

• sueok_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are "bathroom cups" from Walmart. :) I poke holes in them with a sharp knife. I learned to use them on this forum. Do you have violets now?

• rochesterroseman
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing your secret. Yes, I have 2 violets that I bought earlier this year, but I am still waiting for them to bloom again. I don't know if they would fit in such little cups. Maybe I can buy some newer smaller plants for using in tea cups.

• sueok_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are very young plants, so they won't stay in such small cups for a long time. You may want to try miniatures if you want to keep them in teacups.

This forum is a great source of info! I've had violets for years, but since joining this group in the spring, I've learned how to really grow them! It's so much fun to have violet-loving people to talk to and even trade with!

• 1beautylover2012
    9 years ago

Sue, thank you much for your post - what a beautiful set up and plants!