Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi! new to african violetsand this forum

Posted by gardencraze 9b winter garden FL (cmcginnis3@cfl.rr.com) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 14:10

I have always tried to grow AV but never could, well I just moved to a place with nice big East window with lots of filtered sunlight. My friend gave me a small AV and and boy it is doin great in that spot,so now Im hooked.
Don't have to much experience in growing AV so I'll be hanging around here for a while. LOL

Question.... I like wicking but the AV's I have are not wicked, is it too late to wick now or do I have to repot?
And do you all do holiday trade like we do in other forums.
Thank you so much for your help.
Carmen... member in good standing since 2009

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi! new to african violetsand this forum

Hello, welcome to this forum. I have also just started posting, but have been visiting this forum for years.

Yes you can wick your AV and you do not have to repot, if you try the below method carefully.
First moistened the soil, then tie the acrylic yarn or nylon twine to a knitting needle or a wooden skewer. Carefully drive the needle through the AV root-ball and push it through one of the drainage holes of the pot. Keep at least 3 or more inches of twine hanging outside of the drainage hole. You can do this for all the drainage holes or just one, depending upon the type of yarn you are using and the size of the pot.

Make sure the needle is driven towards the center of the pot/rootball and not near the edge of the pot.

If you feel you do not have enough space between the leaves to drive in the knitting needle or you feel that you might break some leaves in the process, then I would recommend just re-potting the plant.

hope this helps,
BabyViolets

o

Thank you babyviolet I will try that tomorow and see how it works, it sounds simple enough.
Carmen

o

Welcome!!! Hope you enjoy it here. I am new as well and Baby Violets' way of wicking is very good.
However, also keep in mind that wicking requires a soilless mix as well. Well, not always. I have heard stories where soil has worked. But better on the safe side than not, I feel.
The attached website has great info for a newbie and at the bottom she has a mix she uses for wicking and also adds in a note to use it for non-wicking.
I hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Debbie's African Violets - Soil mix

o

Gardencraze, you will love it here. Great info and help from experienced growers. I love the gallery too and the exchange section.
Happy Growing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here