Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first AVSA magazines from 1947 & 48..

Posted by seattlemarigene pacific northwest (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 14:39

I thought this is interesting...looking thu some of the magazines I have I came across these first 3 ..very small (9 pages)and no color pictures ..The formula for potting soil in 1947 was 3 parts heavy rich black soil,1 part peat,1 part rotted manure,1 part compost or rotted leaves..and if soil is heavy add at least 3 parts sand.Add charcol if you like.They recommend growing in north or east window...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first AVSA magazines from 1947 & 48..

Hi,
I'm surprised to see a photograph in the magazine simply because most of the pictures of AV's at that time were drawings. I also remember an Aunt of mine who had one of these new plants called African Violets. That was during the early 40's. She kept it in a clay pot and the mix was dark and heavy looking. I never got to pick it up because the plant was delicate, in fact you couldn't even breathe on it. I remember she had it on a small table in the corner of the room well away from any light source. I sometimes wonder what she would think of todays hybrids and the way we handle them.
Fred in NJ

o

Those issues would sell well on ebay. I have the very first issue as a reward for writing articles for the magazine.

When those growers used garden loam in the soil they sometimes got nematodes which was their worst pest. Now we don't use garden loam and I haven't heard of anyone getting nematodes for more than 25 years.

Nancy

o

Agreed those would sell big on ebay. Yes, we've come a long way baby on our methods and such, that our early relatives would scream at us for. Very interesting indeed. Im getting you are saying 1947 was the first year for the mags.

o

yes, the first two are marked 1947 and the third 1948.They volume 1 #1,volume 1 #2 and volume 1 #3..I think they are very interesting...:0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here