Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katy_bug_gw

Leaf sources?

KH 888
12 years ago

Hi guys - I am getting back in to african violets and are looking for a starter pack of leaves from a handful of interesting plants that are more interested than what I see at Lowes. I looked at Travis' Violets, but they have a minimum or 25 leaves. Anyone know of vendors who will ship 5-10?

Thanks!

Kate

Comments (12)

• snappyguy
    12 years ago

Lyndonlyon.com, violetbarn.com, and bluebirdgreenhouse.com will all ship smaller quantities than 25. I think they may start at 10 or so.

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Kate:

You can also go to eBay. I got some lovely leaves from Bluemountainviolets. Also from thegreenmule...I ordered three Pip Squeek leaves and he sent me nine!!! And all nine have babies.

Linda

• KH 888
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I ended up getting 5 leaves from Lyndonlyon.com and I really like their selection. Here is what I ordered:

Irish Maiden
    Strawberry Kiss
    Apache Midnight
    Champagne Pink Sport
    Christmas Dream

So excited!!! Maybe I will have plantlets to trade soon!

• GrowHappy
    12 years ago

You will be pleased with your order from Lyons. Be patient with the production of babies. They don't produce as quickly this time of year as in Spring or Summer when the temps are warmer. As you add more material to your collection, always be sure to isolate new acquisitions for at least 6 months so that you don't infect your clean collection with bugs or devastating diseases, such as INSV(impatiens necrotic spot virus).

Rob's(violetbarn) doesn't sell leaves, last time I checked anyway. He has a nice selection of starter plants.
    I would also recommend Fred (The Green Mule on eBay). I've always received healthy, clean stock from him. Even through the isolation period, I've never seen any problems develop.

• KH 888
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got my leaves in and here they are in their new home!

{{gwi:376972}}

• canukgirl
    12 years ago

I'm a newbie on the forum, and would like to pass on an idea I've just discovered for starting tiny mini AV leaves: pot them up in the little white plastic coffee creamers you get with your take-out coffee. Works great! Snip small slits around the bottom for drainage with sissors.

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

What a great idea! Thanks so much. Even we "oldies" can learn something new. :-)

Linda

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Check out the party supply stores in your neighborhood. I found the 1 oz. condiment cups at a party store. I use them for tiny leaves and then for tiny babies. They were not expensive and came packed 50 to a bag/sleeve.

• KH 888
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My first babies are showing up, 49 days after planting the leaves.

{{gwi:376975}}

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

WooHoo! You're on your way to a great collection and addiction. You will probably get more than one baby from each leave. I usually get three or more. Come spring, you will have some for trading.

• dogflower
    12 years ago

Well I had no idea there were so many types/varieties of AV's! When they ship leaves how do them come?

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

My leaves came in zip-lock baggies. Nothing on them to make leaves rot.