Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf sources?

Posted by katy_bug z7 GA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 14:59

Hi guys - I am getting back in to african violets and are looking for a starter pack of leaves from a handful of interesting plants that are more interested than what I see at Lowes. I looked at Travis' Violets, but they have a minimum or 25 leaves. Anyone know of vendors who will ship 5-10?
Thanks!
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf sources?

Lyndonlyon.com, violetbarn.com, and bluebirdgreenhouse.com will all ship smaller quantities than 25. I think they may start at 10 or so.

o

Kate:

You can also go to eBay. I got some lovely leaves from Bluemountainviolets. Also from thegreenmule...I ordered three Pip Squeek leaves and he sent me nine!!! And all nine have babies.

Linda

o

Thanks! I ended up getting 5 leaves from Lyndonlyon.com and I really like their selection. Here is what I ordered:

Irish Maiden
Strawberry Kiss
Apache Midnight
Champagne Pink Sport
Christmas Dream

So excited!!! Maybe I will have plantlets to trade soon!

o

You will be pleased with your order from Lyons. Be patient with the production of babies. They don't produce as quickly this time of year as in Spring or Summer when the temps are warmer. As you add more material to your collection, always be sure to isolate new acquisitions for at least 6 months so that you don't infect your clean collection with bugs or devastating diseases, such as INSV(impatiens necrotic spot virus).

Rob's(violetbarn) doesn't sell leaves, last time I checked anyway. He has a nice selection of starter plants.
I would also recommend Fred (The Green Mule on eBay). I've always received healthy, clean stock from him. Even through the isolation period, I've never seen any problems develop.

o

Got my leaves in and here they are in their new home!

o
Potting Tiny AV Leaves

I'm a newbie on the forum, and would like to pass on an idea I've just discovered for starting tiny mini AV leaves: pot them up in the little white plastic coffee creamers you get with your take-out coffee. Works great! Snip small slits around the bottom for drainage with sissors.

o

What a great idea! Thanks so much. Even we "oldies" can learn something new. :-)

Linda

o

Check out the party supply stores in your neighborhood. I found the 1 oz. condiment cups at a party store. I use them for tiny leaves and then for tiny babies. They were not expensive and came packed 50 to a bag/sleeve.

o

My first babies are showing up, 49 days after planting the leaves.

o

WooHoo! You're on your way to a great collection and addiction. You will probably get more than one baby from each leave. I usually get three or more. Come spring, you will have some for trading.

o

Well I had no idea there were so many types/varieties of AV's! When they ship leaves how do them come?

o

My leaves came in zip-lock baggies. Nothing on them to make leaves rot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here