Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to African Violets!

Posted by PerfectCircle none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 15:48

Hello! Been a long time lurker of this site. I've been owning and growing Cacti for awhile now. But just like all the other women in my family, I can't avoid the calling of AV's.
Here's where the Newbie part starts to kick in. When it comes to most little things in life, I get very obsessive very fast. No in between lol! So after a lot of looking I've found Lyndon Lyon. And after a lot of narrowing down I've picked 17 plants that I'm IN LOVE with. Is that way too many to start with? At the same time that websites summer shipping is gonna end soon which will cause things to get a lot more expensive.
I live in Minnesota and we have freezing winters. My room is smaller with just one window with Western exposure. I'm assuming they'd be too cold on the window. So how far away can they be from my window and still get sufficient lighting. That's my biggest worry. Everything seems basic.

I'm VERY excited to start this hobby. I can post the plants I plan on buying if anyone is interested! (:
Sorry if this post is repetitive, I've gone through a lot of the threads, but I do everything on my phone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to African Violets!

Welcome, PerfectC
My first thought is starting with 17 all at once could be a bit too much. Second thought is that 17 won't get enough light from only one window unless it is a huge picture window. Being too close to the window on cold winter days and even more so, nights, would be very hard on your violets. Do you have room for a fluorescent light stand by chance? They would love that. I guess my advice would be to start with a few and increase in the spring and summer. Remember, overnight temps are dropping to freezing here in upstate NY , and yours may be worse. As your violets travel they could be subjected to some pretty cold conditions. That's why sellers offer heat packs and the resulting higher winter shipping costs.
Which LLG violets are you interested in? They have so many pretty ones.

o

PC,

Is it possible to get a few of your family's extras to experiment with through the winter? That way you can hone your winter skills and be a bit more practices come shipping season.

And I also think 17 is too many. I think I would start with about 5 until you get some practice under your belt.

Linda

o

Hi PerfectC, I would also go with a much smaller number to start with, I got way too many when I first started. I had a lot of leaves and my club gives away plants so I was soon overwhelmed.
My top favorite Lyndon Lyon plant it Blue Dragon. Its awesome. I would love to hear what you picked out.
What I would do is order just a few of what I like the best and also practice propagating leaves from friends, or you could get an inexpensive AV from a big box or grocery store and experiment with that and rooting leaves from it. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

o

Thanks for the replies! I looked over my plants in my wish list and and just couldn't cut it down anymore. So I was naughty and got all of them BUT I will be giving many to my mom and aunt who have been growing AV's successfully. So I will have about 5 in my personal care until I think I'm ready to have them all. Cus taking care of that many at once when I'm still new does seem like a lot. So don't worry, I'll take it slow! (:

I'm also thinking I'm gonna rig up a shelf for them with artificial lighting and everything. Because by the window is so cold and I want them as happy as possible since they are little babies!

Here's the list of the ones I bought. Any pointers if you know anything about the specific plant would be awesome!

1 x Lyon's Zoe
1 x Scandal
1 x Golden Autumn
1 x Cosmic Art
1 x Optical Illusion
1 x Marina
1 x Sierra Sunrise
1 x Private Dancer
1 x Beauty Goddess (EK-Boginia Krasoty)
1 x Gem Flower (Kamennyi Tsvetok)
1 x Mystic Mermaid (Russian Name Pending)
1 x Winter Smiles (Zima Ulybaetsia)
1 x Evening Splendor
1 x Sequins 'n' Ribbons
1 x Midnight Sun (Lyon's)

o

PC,

You got some good ones. I just bought Zoe and it is a beauty!

Linda

o

I have Private Dancer and it is one of my favorites--always blooming and beautiful variegation on the leaves. Good luck!

o

I've been very happy with Winter Smiles. Not so gangly as some Russians, very pretty flowers and nice leaves, too

o

Hi PC!
Glad you

Of the ones you
Private Dancer is a popular favorite.

Best wishes, Joanne

Your list, for reference:
1 x Lyon's Zoe
1 x Scandal
1 x Golden Autumn
1 x Cosmic Art
1 x Optical Illusion
1 x Marina
1 x Sierra Sunrise
1 x Private Dancer
1 x Beauty Goddess (EK-Boginia Krasoty)
1 x Gem Flower (Kamennyi Tsvetok)
1 x Mystic Mermaid (Russian Name Pending)
1 x Winter Smiles (Zima Ulybaetsia)
1 x Evening Splendor
1 x Sequins 'n' Ribbons
1 x Midnight Sun (Lyon's)

This post was edited by fortyseven on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 19:30

o

I love Zoe. It's red. "Nuff said.

Linda

o

That's quite the collection! I only have 5 mature plants for now, and a few babies. Nothing fancy, just whatever I stumbled across at the grocery store... Still waiting to see if I can get them all to put out flowers again, then I'll decide on whether to order something or find a nursery or a show to buy a couple of plants at...

o

Linda
Would you know if Zoe is similar to Bob Serbin?
Joanne

o

Joanne,

I have both and I think if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Zoe. The color is a deeper red, flowers fully double and wavy. The foliage is rather plain but the flower is a knock-out. I'd love to see this flower on a pink variegation.

Their coloring is similar but I think they're distinct each from the other.

Linda

o

Linda, Thanks, I will add it to my "must have reds" list!
Joanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here