Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ofrell

Cyclamen mite eradication

ofrell
11 years ago

Hello!

I have a "self-diagnosed" case of cyclamen mites (see pic). The infested plants have a stunted, hairy crown, and fail to thrive. The leaves curl downward and have color change - from purple to yellow. I took the pic with a scope at work of a leaf sample. I was wondering about controlling this. I have multiple plants with symptoms and I am assuming that more are infected, but are symptom free (unfortunately I brought these plants in for the winter about 3 weeks ago and mixed the infected group with the uninfected before realizing the problem - thus I expect the infestation to pop up over time in the previously clean group). I have a rare collection of Gesneriads and prefer not to sacrifice them. None of the Petrocosmea or Primulina are showing symptoms and am currently of the opinion that I must do something now to prevent total infestation or risk losing them all.

I read that immersion in water at 43deg C for 15" can kill the mites. I also read on this forum that it resulted in the death of most plants. I tried it on one plant as a preliminary test. It seems to be surviving thusfar though there is a lot of damage(we're 48 hrs post treatment. I image most leaves will be lost and hope the crown survives.

Strategy wise. Does anyone have first hand experience eradicating these pests. From what I can read they are quite the challenge and there are many suggestions to scrap the entire collection, sterilize, wait a few months, and start over. This sounds not so much like an option but admittance of defeat :-)

I have read that Forbid 4F is the best miticide. Though handling and storing the chemicals etc is worrisome to me.

I am thinking about trying to start cutting from leaves that are on the outside of the plant where the mites avoid (supposition here) and perhaps spraying the leaves with Forbid, then placing in bags to quarantine. This may lead to a backup source or plants if I do lose my collection or a reserve for the pest....making it harder to totally eliminate. Not sure how to proceed.

Any suggestions, personal stories, words or encouragement?

many many thanks

jeff

Comments (7)

• ofrell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a pic of the poor, pathetic AV after being hot water dipped and pruned. You can still see some hairy stunted leaves in the center. It is the same plant that yielded the mite, whose pic is above.

• taxonomist3
    11 years ago

Lots of baggies, gallon-sized and quart-sized baggies. The use of Forbid or Avid seems to work, but retreatment on a schedule is a must to kill newly hatched eggs a week later.

The key problem with the temperature method is that it's very difficult to regulate a uniform heat around the plant for that amount of time. If the overall temperature reaches 45'C you can kiss the African Violet good bye. If you don't reach 43'C you'll have survivors that will re-infest. I've read some stuff regarding other gesneriads handling Cyclamen mites ok only showing minor signs of deterioration unlike african violets which grow tight and over-all decline, however, I'm unsure to what extent this applies.

At any rate, I think your best bet would be to chemically treat plants, and hot-water treat leaves and cuttings. This way you're covering your bases.

I would only bring the plants out of baggies after they're showing signs of being pest free, and I have sufficiently sterilized the growing area.

I feel your pain. I thinking I had a case of mites as well, but I'm now more convinced it's a case of mealies.

Best of luck!

• irina_co
    11 years ago

I wouldn't even try to save the plant on a pic.
    Forbid is a systemic, works in one shot.Get a 1/4 oz on ebay, use it and if you are afraid of storing it - trash it in a sealed jar. Chuck the sick ones, spray only the good ones. If they were so damaged-they probably will never look good again.

You can grow violets outside in summer, they will look not that good - but do not bring them back ever. Let them freeze. Too much hassle with the bugs.

• ofrell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I will toss and spray.

I feel embarrassed that I missed the infestation, I just thought it was from too much direct light.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Jeff -

make sure that you spray every single inside plant - Petrocosmeas and what not - these guys are easy to carry from plant to plant on your hands etc.

Forbid is not very toxic for warm blooded creatures, but if you have fish - make sure you cover the tanks. Depending on size of the collection - if you can carry everything to the garage and do the spraying - it probably would be better. Make sure that you put gloves, glasses, dust mask - or just cover your nose and mouth with some kind of scarf - and after you are done - send clothes to the laundry and take a shower. Weakly toxic - is still something you do not to carry around.

I just did a major spraying for thrips last Sunday - no matter what you do - they sneak in every summer.

Good Luck

Irina

• ofrell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Irina. Spraying all the plants will indeed be a big job :-) but I'll do it if necessary. I have a collection of cacti and succulents and I was NOT planning on spraying them (didn't think they were susceptible, but not sure) (pic) You'd advise I should spray them also?

I'm going to move the plants outside to spray, let them dry, and then bring them back in after I've cleaned the table tops etc with bleach. The problem with pesticide use is that the plants are housed in my family room (not far from my kitchen), if it were a dedicated plant room/garage/basement I'd be less concerned. Also, with the weather here in OH turning I'm running out of nice days to take them out. Hope it gets here soon :-)

Final questions:

1.) What concentration do you recommend? The directions say for cyclamen mites to use 2.1-6 mL/5 gallons.

2.) Can I just a regular hand trigger spray bottle to apply?
    http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7273/Spray-Bottles/Plastic-Bottles-with-Sprayers-32-oz?pricode=WU338&gadtype=pla&gclid=CN3UrNzsjbMCFexFMgodaGYAVg

many thanks

jeff

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Jeff - if nobody sleeps in this area - you can spray them from the top and not carry anything out.

I need to look it up - I got the bottle with recommended dose - 6 ml per 5 gallons it is 1.2ml per gallon - and i think that's what i used - the send me the measuring dripper too - I got Forbid from the company on ebay for $22 for 1/2 oz. I am not sure that cy-mites live on cacti and if your plants were not in contact with cacti - I would skip it.

Yes - you can use trigger bottle - just mark it down- for pesticides. I use 4 gallon rechargable sprayer - it works in a garden too like a charm.

irina

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH