Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avalonon

Came from the store with lots of blooms--now just leaves

avalonON
14 years ago

I have 9 violets bought from various stores over 3 months. All had nice blooms when I got them and I have followed the advice from this forum and Tony Clements' AV Handbook re light, watering, fertilizing, potting mix etc. Almost all have stopped blooming although they have healthy leaves.

I can't even remember what the flowers of some of them looked like and despair of seeing any blooms again. I was going to get some named AV's but am discouraged with what I'm doing with the NOIDS I have. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (14)

• bonniejune
    14 years ago

I am sure you will get answers here....or Dave's Garden...
    I am fairly new to this, too......I have learned not to overwater, and the light has to be adjusted...I have had similar experiences....but keep at it, you will get them to bloom again..

• Christine
    14 years ago

Don't get too discouraged. The violets may just be taking a short break as they adjust to their new living conditions. The link below has lots of tips on how to get African Violets blooming. You can compare what you're doing with the recommendations. Good luck. Your plants are healthy, so I bet you'll see buds before too long.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Won't My Violets Bloom?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

I agree with Donna. Give them time to adjust. AND read that link!

You'll be fine! Congrats on your AVs!

• avalonON
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank-you bonniejune and donna c for your encouragement and the link to Why Won't My Violets Bloom?

I will follow Joyce Stork's advice carefully, try to be patient, and maybe even resort to the thump!

• haxuan
    14 years ago

I have found my AVs bloom to a cycle of around two months' time, i.e. they bloom for about two months and then stop for another two months and come back to blooms again. When my AVs are not in bloom, I keep feeding them with Schultz' AV fertilizer.
    Maybe your AVs are now at that time when they don't bloom, in addition to adjusting to their new environment.
    I'm sure they will bloom for you again.

Xuan

PS: By the way, did you change the soil they came in? Maybe you should if you haven't.

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

When I first started growing AVs, I recall reading a similar thread. The wise people suggested that there different plants have different bloom cycles. Some, they contended, bloom only twice a year, each time sending a mass of upward blooms. Others tend to bloom every couple months for a month or two, then take a break. And, the rarest tend to bloom relatively continuously, taking short breaks now and again.

These wise people suggested doing all the "right" things as the Stork article suggests and then just being patient. After a year or so, you'll know the cycle of the plants you have and will know what to expect.

Xuan suggested changing the soil. Did you repot them when you received them? If there are too large of a pot, they might stop blooming to grow roots. Or, if they were not repotted at the time, it might be time for that, especially if they are still in the all peat (heavier than most of us use) soil mix that is often used by nurseries.

So, you have many options to try! Good luck and hope you enjoy working with them even if they are not blooming yet.

• avalonON
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all of you here who have responded with support and suggestions. I did repot them (same pots, using the classical 3-part mix). I am realizing from what you all have said here that I should be patient, care for my plants as suggested, and be confident that they will bloom again.

• irina_co
    14 years ago

I think the issue is with the store-bought plants - they are industrial type plants bred to bloom in boom-bust way - because they are "finished" and ready to go when covered with bloom at the same time. Optimara Cora does it to me. When it blooms it is spectacular - but most of the time - it is just green leaves. All my plans are under lights- so most of them boom practically non- stop - all but Cora.

So = just be patient - with time they all come up together!

I.

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

There is an interesting thread about the store-bought plants on the Brats forum right now. Some people mentioned that they can't get the Optimara plants to bloom under lights, only in natural light. Others said their varieties bloomed under lights. Others said their Optimaras never stopped blooming.

Huh.

• quitecontrary
    14 years ago

There are lots of Optimara and Rhapsodie plants. Although in general I have found them to be hearty growers and easy bloomers, they are not all alike. I have found a wide variation in how soon they repeat bloom. Some are constant bloomers; some take their time but put up a huge head of bloom eventually. A few never grew well for me. Sadly, Optimara Millennia was one of those.

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

*gulp*
    I hope my Opt. Millennia does ok.,,,Debbie

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Debbie -

If you like Millennia so much - there are similar varieties that probably do better for you. Crimson Ice from LyndonLyon.com is a one gorgeous plant.

Irina

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Yes Irina I have Crimson Ice on my wish list already. Your right is it very pretty and I've seen it readily available on different sites and in Ebay. Come Spring I plan to buy one.
    I ordered today a 4 shelf zip greenhouse for my violets. The others I have in a 3 shelf and they seem very happy. Problem being with this 3 shelf the zipper is giving out. I may try my hand at making a pattern off this old one and sewing a new one. I looked to buy a replacement cover but the 3 shelf ones only come from outside of the USA. The 4 shelf replacement covers can be found in the USA just not the 3 shelf. Just my luck! haha.,,,Debbie

• contrarymarypat
    14 years ago

I have a couple from Lowes that were gorgeous (and only $1.99). Have not tried to look up their names and should have labeled the pots with bloom color. They don't seem too eager to rebloom.

A shout out to QUITECONTRARY since that has always been the puter name I wanted but was never available so I settled for the one I use. I'm guessing you and I grew up hearing that as much as our name.

Mary

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor