Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanzeyw

need advice on repotting - strange growth pattern

nanzey
15 years ago

a few months ago - probably at least 3 - I noticed that some of the leaves on my av had a strange brown edge. i used all the online diagnostics and came to the conclusion that it was from a buildup of fertilizer salts (i use wick watering)

The av was probably about 8-9 inches across and living in a 1.5 inch pot so it was time to repot anyway.

I repotted the av to the next size i could find (jello pudding container) and it started flowering away and growing lots of new leaves.

It has been a few months now and it still has a nice set of blooms and all the new leaves are green (no more brown edges)

i was in and out of town for a few weeks and a few of the times the reservoir (just plain water - no fert for now) dried up and the plant got slightly limp (just the outer leaves).

It would perk back up as soon as the reservoir was refilled.

Just in the past week tho - i noticed that the layer of brown edged leaves (the ones from when it had fert burn) which are just a row or two above what is now the oldest and largest set of leaves, have withered and died.

I removed them, but now it's left a very weird neck on the plant.

there's a gap between the largest set of leaves and the first set of healthier leaves.

Is this the plant just getting rid of the leaves it didn't want?

Should I remove all the older (tho healthy) leaves and scrape the neck and repot it again all the way down?

Thanks for the help!

Nancey

Comment (1)