Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondiejan

Yellow leaves?

blondiejan
10 years ago

Why are the leaves on some of my violets so yellow? Am I not fertilizing enough? I use rainwater. Can't find any AV fertilizer without Urea.....Thanks for you answer!

Comments (7)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

If you use rainwater - it doesn't have any minerals - so it cannot buffer the increase of the acidity of the peat with time. Your Ph is off and the plantlets cannot absorb the nutrients.

You need to leach your pots with lukewarm water - until the water run-of is clear - and fertilize with a weak solution of fish emulsion to catch up with nitrogen deficiency.

Depending on the size of your collection - if it is not huge - you can buy either DynaGro or Optimara AV fertilizer. Both of them can be bought online. If you have a large collection and want to be more economical - investigate Plant Marvel urea free.

a mix of 20-10-20 General Purpose
    and 12-31-14 Bloomin & Flowerin

gives you a urea free almost balanced mix with trace elements.

We ordered both of these products for the club - 25 pound each - and mixed/packed them with Larry_B - my esteemed President - into 1 pound baggies. Turned to be $2 a pound.

50 pound supply seem to be a bit excessive for 1 person - but you can use it on your outside plants as well - beats Miracle Grow. Better of course to share with other AV lovers.

irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Marvel

• blondiejan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I ordered some packets of AV fertilizer from Optimara, and some fish emulsion from ebay. Hope it does the trick. It's only 2 plants and some babies so far that need it. I'll use it on the other too to keep them going!

• blondiejan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK....I have received the fish eulsion fertilizer, 5-1-1 and am awaiting the arrival of packets of Optimara fertilizer. Question: Do I apply them both at the same time in the suggested amounts, or one at a time? Thanks.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

While you are awaiting - leach your plants with a weak solution of Fish emulsion - 1/8 of recommended dose - as usually - pour lukewarm water on a soil - until it runs clear from the bottom. It will give them a boost. When you get your Optimara - use it every time you water - I probably will try 1/8 teaspoon per gallon,no more.. And repeat the leaching every 1-2 months. I promise - you will be amazed how well they will do.

i.

• blondiejan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! I'm waiting until tomorrow to use the fishoil. Wanted to wait until they needed to be watered again, so as not to overwater. I'll keep you posted on what happens next.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Leach them with a fish emulsion until the clear water run off- and put them on a stack of newspapers. It will take care of too much water in half an hour.

Irina

• yenpinwen
    9 years ago

BlondieJan,
    Do your leafs become green? Does the situation improve after you follow Irina's suggestion?

I face the similar problem on 2 of my plants and want to see your results.

Pin

Sponsored
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Loudoun County, Virginia