Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abykat

When to bring my af in for winter

abykat
10 years ago

I have a lovely af growing on my porch in the shade. I rescued it from the clearance rack at Lowe's and it has rewarded me with beautiful pink ruffled flowers all summer. It is thriving outside so now my question is when do I need to bring it indoors for winter? What temps are to cold? I love this plant and do not want to chance loosing it. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Aby,

Now would be a great time because......it is really not a good idea to grow them outside. Every arachnid, insect and fungus will find your violet outdoors. If you have more than this one plant, make sure you isolate your violet to catch any problem it may have picked up outside.

Also, although your climate may be fine for violets in the summer, in general, growing conditions are easier to control indoors.

Linda

• abykat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx. It's the only one I have. Grew them many years ago.. Always had bug issues even though they were strictly house plants. Like I said I rescued this one. Couldn't pass it up, it was really cheap, was water soaked from the rain that day. Blooms were shriveled up and dried out, knew is was pink but had no ideas how large and ruffled they turned out to be. A constant bloomer! Only issue was some spotting on the leaves from the cold rain water. I figured if all I had it for was through the summer it was worth the $2 I paid, but it has done really well. I plan to try to keep it going. Only problem, and a big one at that, is my cat thinks plants are her salad. She can get to them any where I put them. Thinking of putting up a corner shelf on the wall for this one near my slider. Lots of light comes in. Hope it makes it through winter without her eating it or knocking it down. She is relentless and quite a jumper.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Aby,

The corner shelf sounds like a good idea. Just make sure it is too small for four paws!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Abykat,
    Is your cat an Abby?
    Joanne 47

• abykat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I have two. She is the fawn. I used to have all four colors. If you know Aby's you know they can get anywhere - very athletic kitties! It will be a challenge to keep this av out of her reach.

• abykat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A more appropriate photo for the av forum. The av I was posting about

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Beautiful!!!

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Abykat,
    Your cats are gorgeous! A friend had Aby's, so I know
    a little about them. I've always had cats, but not Aby's.
    Now I just have AVs. (One of my cats, a rescue,
    was jealous of any attention I paid to my AVs.
    She nestled next to them, under the light, knocked them over, rubbed against them, breaking leaves and
    leaving a coat of fur. I did brush her, but she was a
    fur machine.)

The violet is gorgeous also! It must be very happy!
    Joanne