Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
endangered species

Posted by fortyseven none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 17:42

Hi Linda
Interestingly, according to Wikipedia,
The species violets are endangered ...

"Saintpaulias, commonly known as African violets, are a genus of 6�20 species of herbaceous perennial flowering plants in the family Gesneriaceae, native to Tanzania and adjacent southeastern Kenya in eastern tropical Africa. Typically the African violet is a common household indoor plant but can also be an outdoor plant. Several of the species and subspecies are endangered, and many more are threatened, due to their native cloud forest habitats being cleared for agriculture."

This year, Optimara is offering at least one species
plant. Other growers are, also, I just can't recall which
ones off-hand.

Joanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: endangered species

Joanne,

Species are easier to find these days than they used to be due to increased interest, I would assume. I have a S. ionantha which is the species from which most of our modern hybrids come. This species is also the first AV I ever grew.

Violets are being re-classified and renamed lately by those in charge of such things. Most of the named species are now thought to be sub-species of S. ionantha. The lumpers and splitters continue to make nomenclature difficult for us!

Linda

o

Violet Gallery has a great selection of species. Most of them are extremely tough and easy. I like Saintpaulia tongwensis - pattern on the leaves is absolutely cool - and S.orbicularis purpurea - very floriferous with multitude of small intense royal purple blue blossoms.

i.

Here is a link that might be useful: Violet Gallery

o

I really enjoy growing the species. I have several with brevipilosa and rupicola being favorites.

o

Here is some information that I thought might be interesting. The former species status of many has been reclassified into sub-species of S. ionantha. I believe this results from DNA testing on these plants which shows them to be sub-species rather than species in their own right. (Please tell me that I am not the only one who finds this stuff fascinating!!!)

Old name vs. current name

Saintpaulia amaniensis = S. ionantha ssp. grotei
Saintpaulia brevipilosa = S. ionantha ssp. velutina
Saintpaulia confusa = S. ionantha ssp. grotei
Saintpaulia difficilis = S. ionantha ssp. grotei
Saintpaulia diplotricha = S. ionantha ssp. ionantha var. diplotricha
Saintpaulia grandifolia = S. ionantha ssp. grandifolia
Saintpaulia grotei = S. ionantha ssp. grotei
Saintpaulia intermedia = S. ionantha ssp. pendula
Saintpaulia magungensis = S. ionantha ssp. grotei
Saintpaulia magungensis var. minima = S. ionantha ssp. grotei
Saintpaulia magungensis var. occidentalis = S. ionantha ssp. occidentalis
Saintpaulia nitida = S. ionantha ssp. nitida
Saintpaulia orbicularis = S. ionantha ssp. orbicularis
Saintpaulia pendula = S. ionantha ssp. pendula
Saintpaulia pendula var. kizarae = S. ionantha ssp. pendula
Saintpaulia rupicola = S. ionantha ssp. rupicola
Saintpaulia tongwensis = S. ionantha ssp. ionantha var. ionantha
Saintpaulia velutina = S. ionantha ssp. velutina

The genus is most closely related to Streptocarpus, with recent phylogenetic studies suggesting it has evolved directly from subgenus Streptocarpella.

Linda

o

And we think Dave is confusing? Try taxonomists - every 20 years everything is reshuffled, new genera created, old ones collapsed - species renamed - and 20 years later - the process is repeated, retired genera revived, species are re-renamed. Now we have a new DNA information that causes the workover. But I suspect that is i a change of generations. Old esteemed professors retire - and new blood comes with a new vision.

So far - even Streptocarpella is supposed to be the closest one to AVs - nobody produced an intergeneric cross between these two. And it means tat they are not that close.

I.

o

I think lumping and splitting is how the botanists keep their jobs.

Linda

o

budding lawyers?

dave

o

Fascinating discussion! Thanks for all
the in-depth research, I am so grateful for the
information.
Joanne

o

Dave,

Your lawyers are budding?

Linda

o

I have a double bloomer ... seems he likes to double charge ... I keep saying there aren't enough hours in a day

dave (getting ready to turn the clocks back ... zzz)

another chance for him to double bill

o

Soon you'll have a double 1:00 A.M.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here