Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherokee Trail Growing Like Celery

Posted by stonesriver 6B Tennessee (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 17:59

My Cherokee Trail is under the same lights/growing conditions as my other AVs. Even the crown is celery-like. Anyone have any suggestions? It is a fairly young plant.

I had a San Souci Coco (spel?) do the same thing more than 10 years ago and trashed it. However, this being a trailer I thought there might be some hope.

Thanks so much,

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherokee Trail Growing Like Celery

"Growing like Celery" I just had to laugh outloud. I have never seen an Av growing like Celery, but I have seen AV's do weird things. Pictures would be good. We are all here to help and I don't want to seem disrespectful

Thom

o

Thom -

there is an oldie AV named "Celery" = and that's how it grows - bunched and very upright. I think it is a wasp type.

Linda - I took a CT cutting from a friend in FL - and it looked very compact, short petioles etc. I brought it to CO - and it started growing up with very long petioles, very heavily variegated. So - I presume - conditions. Let's try to put them closer to the lights or under T8s and see what happens.

Good Luck

irina

o

Thom: No offense taken. Wish I had taken a photo but you know how that goes. :-)

Irina: Long time since I've been here, my friend. Don't know if you remember me but I grow mostly AV trailers (along with streps, chiritas and columnea). Lost everything when life happened but I'm baaaack!

The CT was a gorgeous plant when bought from ItsDeb111 on eBay (BTW, talk about wonderful AVs!) so I think you're right about conditions and getting long petoles.

Removed the crowns and restarted them. As soon as I removed the crowns the petoles "relaxed."

I'll keep everyone posted.

Best,

Linda

o

Nope - I didn't forget you!

Love trailers too

Irina

o

Bit the bullet and pinched out all four crowns, removed long petoles, removed 1/3 of the rootball and potted down to a two-inch pot. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Linda

PS: San Souci Coco (spel?) did the "celery" thing about 15 years ago. Geesh, time flies!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here