Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
armygrdnr

New Violets!

armygrdnr
11 years ago

So while I was perusing my local Lowe's for some organic fertilizer I saw a couple of Optimara Violets that I really liked so I picked them up. Here are some pictures of them.

{{gwi:377560}}

{{gwi:377563}}

{{gwi:377566}}

The white with a streak of blue one is my new favorite. It's really busy inside the crown and I was wondering if that was a good thing or something that needs to be fixed?

{{gwi:377569}}

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• fawnee0214
    11 years ago

So pretty! The crown looks it might have suckers, but it is hard to tell from the picture.

• Begonia2005
    11 years ago

I love the pink one. For me the challenge remains to get them to produce as many blooms as they had from the store, the next time they bloom - under my conditions.

• suecirish
    11 years ago

The top pink one is Rhapsodie Michelle from the Rhapsodie girl series and the second blue and white one is Hiroshige from the Artist Palette series. You can check them out at Selective Gardener.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selective Gardener

• armygrdnr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! Suecirish- thanks for the ID's, I looked up Hiroshige and I hope mine doesn't change colors like the one on the site. I really like the subtle blue streak on the petals. This is also the one that has lots and lots of tiny little leaves inside the crown.

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Hey armygrdnr ...

Looks like some nice picks ...

I've grown Hiroshige for years and it will keep the blue as long as it isn't grown too cool. I've purchased them (from Lowes) completely white, but once they get in my warmer environs, the blue shows up and doesn't go away.

Also, it's a very robust plant and likes to sucker (produce new plants). I try and keep mine separated out, but, if you let them attain some size before you do, you'll have new plants from the divisions.

One more thing about Hiroshige, it tends to become upswept in shape unless it gets adequate light.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

You have suckers galore. If you want more Hiroshige plants - wait another month to pop and root them - if you remove the very lower leaves - it is easier - I use narrow blade xacto knife to cut them off. If you have enough of this variety - long tip tweezers are good to get them out, vut you can poke them off with something else.

I.

• armygrdnr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am excited to see how these fare. I want to make sure I can take care of these before I get too addicted and start ordering good plants.

• seaj
    11 years ago

I think I have the same Optimara violet as the one in your first picture. I love it! Of the 5 different Optimara violets I have, it's the one that blooms the most consistently and its growth habit is very balanced and symmetrical.

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

I have the pink one too. But I didn't know its variety name. Glad someone did and posted that info.

• Brighid
    11 years ago

How interesting! I saw both the pink one and the white with pale blue at my local grocery store on Friday. I was really tempted to buy them both, but I refrained, since I just got a bunch of new leaves to root. I don't have any more room for new adult plants right now.

But yours look really nice, and now my wheels are turning, thinking of how I might be able to rearrange things to make room for just one more ...